can we make an option to disable AP mode

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

GravityRZ
Normal user

can we make an option to disable AP mode

#1 Post by GravityRZ » 05 Jan 2021, 12:53

i have a new router which has a bit less range than the old one.
because of that a Wemos D1 mini module which is on the second floor sometimes disconnected and connected again (-80DB signal)
i replaced the module with another one but the problem remained(wemos does not have a good wifi antenna)
no big deal at first but i noticed that from time to time my whole wireless network was getting really slow with repsonsetimes around the 300-1500ms
also this seemed to affect my wired network as well to some point

i suspect that when the module disconnects and can not reconnect it goes into AP mode.
when that happens it basically acts as a wifi jammer because i have everything fixed at channel 11

is it possible to change this functionality(going into AP mode) only happens when both the SSID/password field inside the module are blank.
this way it will keep on reconnecting if it was connected before but does not go into AP mode.
when you erase the module and do a reboot the SSID/password fields will be blank and it goes into AP mode

for now i solved the ussue by installing a wemos D1 with external antenna
DB now is -60DB which i s really good.

so the things i noticed is that esp modules with bad reception can screw up your whole wifi netwok and we do not want that

TD-er
Core team member

Re: can we make an option to disable AP mode

#2 Post by TD-er » 05 Jan 2021, 16:14

Is it also possible the access point is actively disconnecting some/all clients after reaching some threshold of CRC errors per second?
If so, then that could explain the symptoms you're seeing.

What you can do, is force the unit to use B/G mode for WiFi.
That does give some extra room in the min. allowed RSSI.
For example my car in the parking lot does experience unstable WiFi if the RSSI goes below -96 dB. (with B/G mode)

GravityRZ
Normal user

#3 Post by GravityRZ » 11 Jan 2021, 15:37

ok, will check that.

mrwee
Normal user

#4 Post by mrwee » 11 Jan 2021, 23:11

I would still second the option to disable AP mode. When reconfiguring eg. UniFi AP’s, there is a short stop in Wi-Fi communications, causing all ESPEasy modules to go into AP mode. Would be much better to retry association every <x> second.

TD-er
Core team member

#5 Post by TD-er » 11 Jan 2021, 23:18

Hmm that means this interruption is longer then "short" as the timeout for a reconnect fail is like 20 seconds.

mrwee
Normal user

#6 Post by mrwee » 12 Jan 2021, 11:45

Indeed. Sometimes it does take longer, depending on the changes. Quite annoying for a Prosumer/light enterprise product.

TD-er
Core team member

#7 Post by TD-er » 12 Jan 2021, 13:00

I've seen a number of similar frustrations... ehh features on pro grade devices, so I know what you mean.

Really strange to see prosumer/enterprise products often also means it is a lot harder to configure right.

mrwee
Normal user

#8 Post by mrwee » 12 Jan 2021, 14:31

I don't mind the complexity, as they have better support for tweaking things, but of course there's also a steeper learning curve :D.