Connect 2 units by wire

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

ingoiot
Normal user

Connect 2 units by wire

#1 Post by ingoiot » 23 Jan 2021, 21:03

hi,

is it possible to connect two (wemos D1) ESPeasy devices via cable?
USB serial or some dedicated GPIOs?

I´m especially interested in using an ESP8266 or ESP32 to conntect to a
Rasperry pi running RPIeasy to use the analoge Pins and/or Moduls that are not available for RPieasy,
without the hassle of running an hotspot on the pi.

Grumpf
Normal user

Re: Connect 2 units by wire

#2 Post by Grumpf » 24 Jan 2021, 14:55

Hi, what exactly are you trying to achieve ? If you explain your project we can try to help you better.
Cheers !

ingoiot
Normal user

#3 Post by ingoiot » 25 Jan 2021, 23:44

i basically want what a p2p connection does, only by wire.

ThomasB
Normal user

#4 Post by ThomasB » 26 Jan 2021, 00:48

Although not anything as convenient as P2P, you could use the serial port for communication. Serial commands your RPI can send to ESPEasy are listed here:
https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... mmand.html

The ESPEasy could use rules to send string messages to the RPI. The serialsend command can be used to create special messages.

A similar concept using a Arduino and ESPEasy is documented here:
https://www.doornenbal.org/domotica/120 ... easy-howto

I don't have any other examples. Just attempting to paint a big picture to spark your imagination.

- Thomas

Grumpf
Normal user

#5 Post by Grumpf » 26 Jan 2021, 08:47

Like Thomas said, you can try using the existing communication buses between your pi & the Esp like serial, I²C or SPI. You can find a lot of examples for Arduinos & Pi on the web. But you didn't really answer my question : I understand you want a wire between the units but why ? Unless it's a big secret ;), we'll be able to help you better if you tell us your final goal.

ingoiot
Normal user

#6 Post by ingoiot » 27 Jan 2021, 19:04

because i dont want to use a wireless network.
eg i want a monitor with raspi and bme 680 to display it locally.
not everywhere wlans are allowed, and especailly slower pi´s have a hard time to have wlan and accesspoint up at the same time.
Also its a huge effort to keep up with all the extra security updates.

Grumpf
Normal user

#7 Post by Grumpf » 28 Jan 2021, 08:08

:D You're like many of my clients: I have to play Spanish inquisition with them until they finally spit it out! We're only on the second Why, the third one should work (check here https://philsvitek.com/how-to-find-the- ... hree-whys/)

TL;DR you're not telling what you want to do precisely and you focus on a possible solution you think may work. Maybe you are correct, who knows until you tell us?

If you need a remote probe for a BME680, you can use SPI or I²C from the pi to it, no need of an ESP for that.
My question is why do you need a Pi & an ESP ? If you need a screen and a probe an Esp is enough a Pi is overkill but you do you. The main advantage of the Esp is its wifi capabilities so if you don't need it, I can only assume it's because Espeasy has all the features you need like rules or format.

So, describe your project in details and where is the blocking point. I don't know if you can program or solder, I don't know what kind of hardware you possess etc.

Sorry if I sound condescending, I'm really trying to help.
download.jpg
download.jpg (10.28 KiB) Viewed 5154 times