Espeasy whitout internet connection possible?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Espbaer
New user

Espeasy whitout internet connection possible?

#1 Post by Espbaer » 17 Feb 2021, 16:48

Hello, is it possible to parameterize espeasy without an intrnet connection? espeasy uses Javascript and css files from an external server in the web interface. Without Javascript, however, no rules can be saved, for example. But I don't have internet access in my Iot-network. Is it possible to send the javascript files from the espeasy web server?
Thanks for help

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Espeasy whitout internet connection possible?

#2 Post by TD-er » 17 Feb 2021, 16:54

The JS files are only not included in builds with LIMIT_BUILD_SIZE flag set (e.g. "minimal OTA")

See all the files mentioned here:
https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... atic-files
And they are of course also present here: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEas ... ega/static

When serving these files from the ESP, it checks if the static content is present in the build.
If not, it will check the SPIFFS file system first and if the file is not present it will generate a link to the GitHub CDN host.
Files fetched from the GitHub CDN servers have a TTL of 1 year, so if you don't clear your browser cache, it will not needed to be fetched.

So to answer your question, you can save the files you need on the SPIFFS file system of your node.

Later I also plan to let devices know to eachother if one of them does have the files present so you can fetch the static content also from another node in your network.
But that's not ready yet.

Espbaer
New user

#3 Post by Espbaer » 18 Feb 2021, 07:10

Ok, i understand, thank you.
I used a 1M image because it should run on a small 8266. Then I'll try to see if I can still get the files onto the module.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 18 Feb 2021, 10:34

Or you install a "testing" build on a 4M module, which has more room on the SPIFFS and access that once with internet present, to have the files cached in your browser.
If you have a suggestion to make this less of a problem, please let me know.

Espbaer
New user

#5 Post by Espbaer » 18 Feb 2021, 13:38

Hello, it doesn't work the way I tried. I uploaded the files from the static directory via Tools -> Filebrowser, but without success. That was probably the wrong way. Can the files be transferred without installing new firmware?
I am using the P016_IR function on a Wemos D1 mini. There would be enough space. Or do I have to compile my own firmware?

Ath
Normal user

#6 Post by Ath » 18 Feb 2021, 14:24

On a 4MB ESPEasy on ESP8266 you have an extra option in the Update Firmware form, were you can select a file either to update the firmware (as is to be expected), or upload a file to the file system, but both options aren't available on a 1MB ESPEasy :o
/Ton (PayPal.me)