Can I ignore these ESPEASY warnings ?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Affinite
Normal user

Can I ignore these ESPEASY warnings ?

#1 Post by Affinite » 20 Feb 2021, 19:37

Anyone know if I can safely ignore these two warning messages when programming my NodeMCU ESP8266

1) Setting up 2 tasks with 2 devices with the same Name but different Values. (Actually 2 channels on the same ADS115 ADC)
I get "Warning device name is not unique conflicts with ..."
ie
Task #1 Name = "electrical.battery.house" & Value = "voltage"
Task #2 Name = "electrical.battery.house" & Value = "current"

If i ignore the warning the device seems to work OK and I get "electrical.battery.house.voltage" and "electrical.battery.house.current" sent out over MQTT but I wondered if anyone could see a reason why I shouldn't ignore this warning.

The second one is on a different device that Im remote managing using VNC
2) "Warning daily flash limit reached. Power cycle the device to reset"

I can manage it via VNC but a power cycle is tricky as the device is 2000 miles away .
A remote reboot does not clear the message so is there another way to clear this buffer ?

Im running ESP_Easy_mega_20201227_normal_ESP8266_4M1M on these devices

Thanks

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Can I ignore these ESPEASY warnings ?

#2 Post by TD-er » 20 Feb 2021, 20:19

If you're using rules, or try to address a task value via [taskname#varname] like construction, you may get unexpected results if your tasknames are the same.

Ath
Normal user

#3 Post by Ath » 20 Feb 2021, 20:25

Having 2 (or more) tasks with the same name will (only) cause issues in 2 situations:
- You want to use the value of the second, third, etc, task in rules: You won't be able to. Searching for a taskname stops after the first match.
- Addressing the commands of the second, third, etc, tasks using the [<taskname>]. prefix of the command will have the same issue

The warning about the Daily flash limit can be ignored, though it could cause issues if you want to upgrade the unit OTA (over the air), so eventually, a power-cycle will be required.

Edit: Again, 'clashing' with a response from TD-er :D :D :D
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Affinite
Normal user

#4 Post by Affinite » 20 Feb 2021, 20:41

TD-er and Ath
Many thanks for super-quick reply.
I'm not yet using rules but I'll bear in mind your warning.
Thanks again for the reply and the great Firmware
(being able to monitor the batteries on my boat from 2000 miles away is a great relief when I cant physically go there to check them) :D

Ath
Normal user

#5 Post by Ath » 20 Feb 2021, 20:58

Well, you can use different task names and still publish them to the desired MQTT topics in 2 ways (again :P)
- Add event handlers in rules (on sensor1#value1 do) and use the publish command to exactly control the topic you're sending on. You should disable the Controller on the Device configuration in that case, but keep the MQTT controller.
- Change the (Home Assistant/OpenHAB, that's the most flexible) MQTT Controller setup to not use %tskname% but a fixed value like electrical.battery.house. The value should still use %valname% And it won't work if you want to also send other task's values though.
/Ton (PayPal.me)