Absolute rookie: How can I use several sensors for Wemos D1?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

OreganoHauch
New user

Absolute rookie: How can I use several sensors for Wemos D1?

#1 Post by OreganoHauch » 01 Dec 2021, 17:17

Hello,

first I would like to ask you to not speak in short keywords only, because I am very new to the field of sensors, ESP, Raspberry Pi, electronics, programming......

What do I want?
I want to install an LED strip along the stairs. When a person goes up, the lights should "follow" the person upstairs, and vice versa. This could be done by 2 IR sensors at the top and bottom. When I have achieved this, I want to experiment with vibration sensors, that are below each step (or each 3rd...) of the stairs. This way, the person would truly be followed based on their movement/speed.

What have I done already?
I have bought a Raspberry Pi, since I only know Python and read how versatile Raspberry Pis are (and maybe I will use it in the future for other, more computation-expensive, applications). I know, that there are cheaper and less power-consuming devices. I also bought two IP67 5m LED strips with SK6812 protocol and 32 LEDs/m. I bought everything regarding the power supply for the LEDs , and a device for converting the 3.3V GPIO pin signal from the Raspberry Pi to the 5V of the LED strip. Including cables and breadboard. (I want to build it with a breadboard first.)

What question do I have for you to complete my project?
I don't know how I organize the sensors. I could, of course, just use two IR sensors and a long wire to connect both sensors to the Raspberry Pi. But for one, this is not an elegant solution, and also I might want to add more sensors (the vibration sensors I mentioned above). Someone in a rather taciturn Facebook group alluded that I might use a Wemos D1 , that can be used in the houses' WLAN, which reads the sensors and sends it via "MQTT" to the "IOBroker" of the Raspberry Pi. They don't seem to like me asking too much about what that means, so I hoped that maybe someone here could help me out? I would be super grateful! :-)

By the way, if I need to learn some C++ on the way, that's okay with me!

Kind Regards!