DHT-11 : no reading

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

the cosmic gate
Normal user

DHT-11 : no reading

#1 Post by the cosmic gate » 08 Sep 2016, 10:13

Something "strang" i've used a sonoff to build inside a garden lamp. ( running ESP easy build125)
When i connect everything to test, everything is working fine and the DHT gives the temp en hum. But when i close this lamp enclosere the status in ESP Easy : NAN and the log tells me : no reading.

Is there something with this sensors like it stops working when it's build in a ( metal) enclosure ( faraday's law) ?

costo
Normal user

Re: DHT-11 : no reading

#2 Post by costo » 10 Sep 2016, 14:44

the cosmic gate wrote:Something "strang" i've used a sonoff to build inside a garden lamp. ( running ESP easy build125)
When i connect everything to test, everything is working fine and the DHT gives the temp en hum. But when i close this lamp enclosere the status in ESP Easy : NAN and the log tells me : no reading.

Is there something with this sensors like it stops working when it's build in a ( metal) enclosure ( faraday's law) ?
Does your garden lamp have a safety earth connection and is it connected to the ground of the housesystem ?
Maybe you can try to connect the ground/zero of the SonOff low voltage section to the safety ground pin which is connected to the metal enclosure.

b.t.w.
I consider the DHT11 and DHT22 as not really reliable. That is because the 2 species I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/AM2302-Digital- ... SwZVlXtGad I.C.W. ESPEasy sometimes do the same, sending NAN until I reset or reconnect power. Also one of them regularly, without any change in circumstances, starts to give RH data 10%-20% higher, for some time, while the sensors are close together. After a reboot of ESPEasy both give the same RH again. Temperature readings are always near the same.

the cosmic gate
Normal user

#3 Post by the cosmic gate » 12 Sep 2016, 16:58

costo wrote:
the cosmic gate wrote:Something "strang" i've used a sonoff to build inside a garden lamp. ( running ESP easy build125)

Does your garden lamp have a safety earth connection and is it connected to the ground of the housesystem ?
Maybe you can try to connect the ground/zero of the SonOff low voltage section to the safety ground pin which is connected to the metal enclosure.

b.t.w.
I consider the DHT11 and DHT22 as not really reliable. That is because the 2 species I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/AM2302-Digital- ... SwZVlXtGad I.C.W. ESPEasy sometimes do the same, sending NAN until I reset or reconnect power. Also one of them regularly, without any change in circumstances, starts to give RH data 10%-20% higher, for some time, while the sensors are close together. After a reboot of ESPEasy both give the same RH again. Temperature readings are always near the same.

Indeed this garden lamp is connected to earth (this is the lamp we're talking about http://www.meerdanlicht.nl/wandlamp-phi ... 58716.html ) I can try to connect the ground pin from the sonoff to the earth.
Otherwise i can try oneother temp sensor like the DS18b20

costo
Normal user

#4 Post by costo » 12 Sep 2016, 23:15

the cosmic gate wrote: Is there something with this sensors like it stops working when it's build in a ( metal) enclosure ( faraday's law) ?
Maybe faraday has something to do with it.
It may be that the metal casing of the lamp just blocks the WiFi completely and the connection gets lost resulting in a NAN ?