Wemos D1 Mini flashed but no Access Point

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

apt
New user

Wemos D1 Mini flashed but no Access Point

#1 Post by apt » 03 Mar 2018, 22:45

I'm new to ESPEasy but have successfully flashed a NodeMCU previously so thought I'd try the same with a Wemos D1 Mini... without much success.

After having a few issues finding a compatible CH40x driver for macOS High Sierra (10.3.3) I can successfully flash the device with esptool.py (2.3.1) but the device does not show up as an access point in my wi-fi networks. I can however see the device if I do a scan with my Fing Box as the Mac address appears as a station.

I've tried both R120 and latest development builds and the same issue. I've erased and re-tried with esptool.py and the same thing happens. I'm also intermittently seeing flashing of the blue onboard LED when the device reboots or is reset.

If anyone can shed some light on whats going on I'd be most grateful.

Ade

Domosapiens
Normal user

Re: Wemos D1 Mini flashed but no Access Point

#2 Post by Domosapiens » 03 Mar 2018, 22:53

Power supply problem?
During WiFi activity the ESP is power hungry.
An USB port is often not delivering enough

The Wiki:
USB power supply
If you want to use a USB charger as a power supply, make sure it has a CE marking and delivers enough current. 1 Ampere is the least.
https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... wer_supply
30+ ESP units for production and test. Ranging from control of heating equipment, flow sensing, floor temp sensing, energy calculation, floor thermostat, water usage, to an interactive "fun box" for my grandson. Mainly Wemos D1.

apt
New user

#3 Post by apt » 04 Mar 2018, 00:21

Domosapiens wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 22:53 Power supply problem?
During WiFi activity the ESP is power hungry.
An USB port is often not delivering enough
That seems to have helped but it’s still intermittent and only working with the R120 build and nothing newer.

Thanks for your help. Any ideas why newer builds just don’t work even with checking the PSU?

Ade

Domosapiens
Normal user

#4 Post by Domosapiens » 04 Mar 2018, 01:01

A Wemos "fake" problem?
See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4902#p25090
30+ ESP units for production and test. Ranging from control of heating equipment, flow sensing, floor temp sensing, energy calculation, floor thermostat, water usage, to an interactive "fun box" for my grandson. Mainly Wemos D1.

apt
New user

#5 Post by apt » 04 Mar 2018, 08:41

Domosapiens wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 01:01 A Wemos "fake" problem?
See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4902#p25090
I think you may have found the problem, the D1’s I have are unbranded (from Amazon and a company called MakerHawk) and are exhibiting the exact same issues as discussed in that link.

Think I may just buy in bulk from AliExpress but sometimes the ship times to me are in months :(

Thanks for all the help.

Ade