Wired Ethernet / PoE

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

ajheyworth
New user

Wired Ethernet / PoE

#1 Post by ajheyworth » 29 Aug 2018, 22:26

I love using the ESP8266 with EasyESP. I've designed new hardware for my projects, and find the firmware really easy to use - thank you.

Unfortunately I have a stumbling block. Some environments where I'd want to deploy my devices do not either permit the use of WiFi as a technology or WiFi simply isn't practical, yet the ESP8266 hardware is ideal in every other way.

I have a few W5100/W5500 'shields' knocking about, and it would be fantastic if I could put these cheap wired Ethernet modules to good use. Would anyone be able to write a plugin for them? Or even better, have them added as a device to the hardware list? I'm sure there will be others out there wanting to use them too. This may then also allow (with hardware modification) PoE power to devices for those solely wired applications. Combined with WiFi where allowed, WiFi could be a failover or secondary interface.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Wired Ethernet / PoE

#2 Post by TD-er » 30 Aug 2018, 21:10

I have seen some traces of wired ethernet in the sources of ESP Arduino libraries, so it may be possible.
However, getting some ethernet module working is one thing, but making all other parts actually using it may be a lot more work. C++ object related to wifi are all over the project.

randytsuch
Normal user

#3 Post by randytsuch » 30 Aug 2018, 22:51

POE is a fair amount of work to implement, you need to inject the voltage or get a POE capable switch, and then on the other end you have to extract the voltage and then convert it to what you need.

Normally, if you can get an ethernet wire there, you can also get a wifi signal there. Or add a wifi extender device to get wifi there.
These esp easy devices are low bandwidth applications, and they all work fine for my as wifi.

I hardwire all of my cams as they are high bandwidth and really need to be wired.

ajheyworth
New user

#4 Post by ajheyworth » 31 Aug 2018, 00:18

Thanks for your comments. POE is hardware, so not really an issue. It's not true that where you can get a cable you can get WiFi, and I did say some devices are in environments that cannot have an RF signal.

Putting POE aside, I thought that the SPI connection to the Wiznet modules (as used with arduinos) may have been possible?

grovkillen
Core team member

#5 Post by grovkillen » 31 Aug 2018, 06:23

It is possible but a lot of development time will be needed and we're running low on time as it is. So it's not a focus area for us. I totally understand what you're wanting and I would like that as well but it's not on the horizon.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

Gargam3L0
New user

#6 Post by Gargam3L0 » 15 Jan 2021, 20:11

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.
I see that wired ETH is viable option now when using the ESP32 LAN8720 phy option in ESPEasy.
How much effort and will it be possible to now also add support for the Wiznet W5500 SPI wired Ethernet module?

TD-er
Core team member

#7 Post by TD-er » 15 Jan 2021, 20:43

I don't know how much of it is already present in the ESP32 core libraries. (or maybe even ESP8266)
If it is already supported, then it will not be that hard to implement and it may be a nice addition as SPI does use a lot less GPIO pins compared to RMII based chips like the LAN8710A/LAN8720A etc.