turning a knob

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

obod0002c
Normal user

turning a knob

#1 Post by obod0002c » 06 Dec 2019, 17:01

during my last absence I wanted my gas heating to be turned off but me being able to switch it on again a few days before we expect to come home so the floor heating has the chance to warm the rooms up again.
So I used an ESPEasy controlled power switch.
When I came back home my heating system was switched on - but offering an error code, most probably because the mains were switched off for too long. And the heating wasn't working.

The heating system has a holiday mode but when activated, a pump is running whole time - which I don't want to.

Second idea: there's a control knob to adjust the heating temperature from 0° up to a maximum temperature and finally an 'auto' position.
I'd only need two settings: leftmost and rightmost.

Due to obvious reasons I don't want to modify the heating system internally.

Has one solved the challenge? A servo maybe? What settings in ESPEasy are you using? Is your ESP running on battery? If not, how did you ensure no dangerous voltage can escape from the power plug?

Thanks a lot for some hints

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: turning a knob

#2 Post by ThomasB » 06 Dec 2019, 18:43

See this ESPEasy heating thermostat project:
viewtopic.php?t=6287

The ESP thermostat could be wired in parallel with the existing thermostat and be enabled when you go on holiday / vacation. Your existing thermostat does not need to be removed (just set it to Off).

But keep in mind that WAN access to ESPEasy is not recommended due to security issues. That is to say, remote activation via router port forwarding is not recommended. A cloud based device such as a Nest thermostat might be slightly better to use, but the cloud is definitely not the holy grail for secure access.

- Thomas