Burn sonof

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

jme
Normal user

Burn sonof

#1 Post by jme » 15 Apr 2020, 15:26

Hi,

I had a sonoff, which was working, but i decided to upgrade it to the last espeasy.

I connected it to the serial after the upgrade i saw that it didn't boot at all when connected to 220V.

Now i realised that i connected the 5v during the flash process.

Is it possible i burned the sonoff ?
Is it a way to fix it ?

As i wil use it as a dry contact is it possible to use it with a 3V power supply ?
Actually it never connect to the wifi.
Thx

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: Burn sonof

#2 Post by grovkillen » 15 Apr 2020, 17:20

What did you connect to 5V?
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

mrwee
Normal user

#3 Post by mrwee » 15 Apr 2020, 18:01

If you connected 5V to the programming pins, then it's dead :cry:

ThomasB
Normal user

#4 Post by ThomasB » 15 Apr 2020, 20:02

Couple things:

1. There have been reports that the ESP8266 often survives accidental connection to 5V power. But there is a higher chance the Flash chip will be damaged. So Flash again with 3.3V power; If flash upload is successful then the Sonoff is probably still OK. For confirmation that it still runs I suggest using the serial terminal function and checking the boot messages.

2. If this device is an older Sonoff Basic with ESP8266 chip then there have been reports that WiFi will fail to connect when using recent ESPEasy bin files. The latest Sonoff Basic hardware with ESP8285 chip does not experience this problem.

@Everyone: Just as a reminder, remove ALL serial interface connections BEFORE connecting mains power to the Sonoff. Both you and your computer may have drastically shorter lives if you forget to do this.

- Thomas

jme
Normal user

#5 Post by jme » 17 Apr 2020, 06:43

What did you connect to 5V
The 3v3 pin.

BURN SONOF
by ThomasB » 15 Apr 2020, 20:02

Couple things:

1. There have been reports that the ESP8266 often survives accidental connection to 5V power. But there is a higher chance the Flash chip will be damaged. So Flash again with 3.3V power; If flash upload is successful then the Sonoff is probably still OK. For confirmation that it still runs I suggest using the serial terminal function and checking the boot messages.

2. If this device is an older Sonoff Basic with ESP8266 chip then there have been reports that WiFi will fail to connect when using recent ESPEasy bin files. The latest Sonoff Basic hardware with ESP8285 chip does not experience this problem.
1. I will test it
2. Will use annoter firmware, as it is a lid sonoffwhich one should work ?

When i boot it on 220v actually nothing happening. Maybe linked to the corrupt flash ?

jme
Normal user

#6 Post by jme » 17 Apr 2020, 07:41

Hi,

i just reflash with 3V3 and old firmware 20181204 everything works back .

Thank you for you support.