Power/Current Measuremt Modules for ESP8266?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Oetsch
Normal user

Power/Current Measuremt Modules for ESP8266?

#1 Post by Oetsch » 27 Oct 2020, 10:13

Hi
comparing available hardware for home automation, power/current measurment is often a differentiator out of my view.

Prefabricated hardware like Shelly 1PM, Shelly Plug-S, Shelly Plug or Sonoff POW offer this feature out of the box. Done a short research and it seems to be based on a small coil solution which make use of the magnetic field from the current.

My question is, if there are also small/cheap/easy solutions available to integrate current measurement for e.g. D1 Mini + Relay or sth similar and ESPEasy?
Haven´t seen ready made out of the box solutions yet and how about your experience, if this solution are available which are worth to use instead of this totally prefabricated hardware like Shelly + Sonoff?

Thx

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Power/Current Measuremt Modules for ESP8266?

#2 Post by TD-er » 27 Oct 2020, 10:18

Almost(??) all example you mention do not use a coil, but a shunt.
Meaning they measure current directly and not via induction.

There are sensors possible that use a coil, which is often used for higher currents.
For example the PZEM family of sensors use such an inductive principle.
For the PZEM 004T-v3.0 I have a PR prepared to move the implementation from the Playground to the main repository: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/pull/3337

See here for some (random) example of how it is connected to a Wemos D1 mini board: https://primalcortex.wordpress.com/2019 ... d-esp8266/

Oetsch
Normal user

#3 Post by Oetsch » 27 Oct 2020, 12:21

Thx, very interesting for me.
Looking up this modules at Ali Express its a bit surprising that only 4-8 results are shown but in general I found the module.

Also thank you for the link to example. Very good also because of the HLK power supply circuit example. Thought of using such a power supply and haven´t look up details but was questioning myself if this ps modules have everything (protection) included but this example clearly says no and gives recommendations, great!

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 27 Oct 2020, 14:34

Only thing about those HiLink units is that you need to add a fuse and keep an eye on the heat.
So don't place them in a confined space where it is easy to build up heat. (max 60 degree C)
And keep in mind you need to have a power supply that can deliver 500 mA peak on top of the other devices you add to it. (there are versions with lower rating and also clones with exact the same dimensions)