ESPEasy for gassensor SGP-30

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

wonk
Normal user

ESPEasy for gassensor SGP-30

#1 Post by wonk » 08 Mar 2021, 12:41

Hi,
is there a suitable plugin for this sensor? I did not find any. It's I2C-address is 0x58 HEX. The standard gassensor plugin does not allow this address.
By the way: Is there somewhere documentation, how to install a plugin whith status "testing"?
Gruss, wonk

Ath
Normal user

Re: ESPEasy for gassensor SGP-30

#2 Post by Ath » 08 Mar 2021, 12:54

Most 'testing' plugins (though not all) are in the 'test' builds, and those require an ESP with 4 MB or more of flash.

You can get all code local, set up a Custom.h file and build your own special bin file. That does require some developer skills though.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 08 Mar 2021, 22:14

Yep it is P083 you want.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 15 Mar 2021, 12:09

I just checked and noticed the latest nightly build indeed did not have a "testing" build for ESP8266.
I removed a number of "energy" plugins as they are now also part of the "energy" builds and created a test build for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/89ocrjufjfbiw ... M.bin?dl=0

wonk
Normal user

#5 Post by wonk » 15 Mar 2021, 14:26

Thank you, got it.

wonk
Normal user

#6 Post by wonk » 18 Mar 2021, 18:13

Hi,
the plugin is working fine. But normaly you need a option to set calibration data. Is there any possibility to do so? As I do not know the "calibration function", I cannot do this with a formula.
Gruss, wonk

TD-er
Core team member

#7 Post by TD-er » 18 Mar 2021, 20:19

Calibrating a normal (real) CO2 sensor is already quite hard to do, but an eCO2 sensor is fluctuating quite a lot and thus is a lot harder to calibrate.

To be honest, I don't think you can even use those VOC sensors to measure anything that can be calibrated as they sense a lot of volatile compound gasses and based on some assumed correlation the manufacturer has defined a ratio which can somewhat be interpreted as if it were a CO2 concentration.
But it does depend on so many factors what this sensor outputs that you really can't make a proper calibration to know in all circumstances what CO2 level is present in the air.

These sensors are mainly used in ventilation systems as they do measure an increase in gasses which are usually exhailed by humans.
So an increased value means you need to ventilate more.
But you can't set those to a target value like "make sure CO2 concentration remains < 1000 ppm" as these sensors simply cannot guarantee it is CO2 what's causing the readings.
On average you can state whethere there is some amount of gas concentrations in the air which you don't want there.

IMHO is an "eCO2" unit of measure stated in the specs rather misleading information.

Ath
Normal user

#8 Post by Ath » 18 Mar 2021, 20:44

The documentation and implementation guides I could find seem to suggest that the device does an auto-calibration after power-on. This suggests it should be turned and back on of every now and then.
The ESPEasy plugin source postpones reporting the read values from the device for the first 15 seconds, as during that time it returns only a standard set of values that have no meaning.
Also, there is no calibration command available, but there is code that reads and restores some baseline values from and to the sensor, that is probably used to speed up calibration when the ESP is crashed or rebooted for some reason.
/Ton (PayPal.me)