Blitzwolf BW-SS5 working with ESPEasy?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Oetsch
Normal user

Blitzwolf BW-SS5 working with ESPEasy?

#1 Post by Oetsch » 07 May 2021, 15:56

Hi
because of temperature issues with my Shelly 2.5 (overtemperature error) I plan to replace 2 of them by using e.g. Blitzwolf BW-SS5.

Hoping that the HW design of the Blitzwolf devices allows a stable operation even close to specified max. environmental temperature of 40°C by powered relay outputs (without any load). According my experience the Shelly do not and temperature goes over 90°C.

Currently I ´m looking for experiences with these Blitzwolf devices and could find not so much information.

For me the operation with tasmota seems to be possible but I would like to operate the devices with ESPeasy like my other devices.

GPIO assignment seems not to be a problem, but I´m not familar if the "special" input detection is possible by ESPeasy.
According Tasmota the BW-SS5 is using AC frequency detection for inputs and can this also be used and configured by ESPEasy?

Thx

Ath
Normal user

Re: Blitzwolf BW-SS5 working with ESPEasy?

#2 Post by Ath » 07 May 2021, 16:05

Before switching (:lol:) to another device, I'd be interested to understand why your Shelly is getting so hot (90 degrees is way too hot for this type of device), is it built into a heating device? For that reason I would expect any other device to get that hot too, so using another brand is probably not going to solve anything without taking action on the cause.

NB: That Blitzwolf device would be one of the last I'd pick as an alternative, the way it works sounds really wonky to me.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

Oetsch
Normal user

#3 Post by Oetsch » 07 May 2021, 16:29

According my result of looking for the reason the shelly 2.5 seems to be designed "close to the edge".
There are reported differences in temperature in case no, one or two of it´s relays are swiched on (even without load). In addition there seems to be a difference in case the power measurement is used/activated (tasmota). Some also report that the temperature behaviour is different if you use it in rollershutter mode or relay mode(shelly software).
And in case of asking "the shelly people" they just say that it is designed for roller shutter -> no big loads.

So I have several of these devices in use. Some for my rollershutter and some in relay mode for lights but all of them are ok and no temperature problems but they are installed behind light switches/in the walls (expecting environmental temperatures of ~25°C).

But the "problematic" 2pcs. shelly 2.5 are used for 3-way motor operated valves (max. load 10W) and are not operated often. But based on my control logic I push 1 relay continously in on-state to be sure and protected against water. So one relay is/should be switched on 24h/7d of the shelly but of course the MOV is not in operation(is in end position) so no load. In case I disable this (all relays are off) temp is ~84°C.

Biggest reason out of my view for overtemperature is the installation environment which is a junction box together with a Shelly 1PM for a 1kW pump. This shelly 1PM is below 48°C so this clearly shows the design difference between single and double relay type of shelly.

To be honest I cannot realy understand the specification of the Shelly 2.5 which says 10A each relay and max. 40°C environmental temp. This does not fit to my experience and to many others. In case you like to have a look there has been one tasmota temp issue (other reason) but you can have a look to the thermal pictures which clearly shows the design "close to the edge" https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/issues/7991
https://bleepcoder.com/de/tasmota/58666 ... ce-8-2-0-1

Therefore I do not really see a chance to get happy with the shelly devices and thought of replacing these. First I thought of removing the plastic housing of the shelly or drill some wholes for better ventilation in it but after those thermal pictures, do not believe this will work for long term usage.
Because of limited space in the junction box I cannot use a relay board or sth similar, also because I need the inputs for detecting the end position of the MOVs.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 08 May 2021, 10:52

Do you also have a picture of what components we're looking at in the thermal image?
I don't know if we're looking at the ESP heating up, some transistors operating the relay or the power supply.
If it is all three, I would say, try to see if there is any difference when running with "ECO" mode on in ESPEasy.
That does (after a while) run with significant lower current to the ESP. (normal 80 mA on average => 25 - 30 mA on average)
Also lowering the TX power may help here, but the "ECO" mode does also lower TX-power as I have seen in my tests, but I cannot look into what it actually does as that's part of closed source code.
I can only measure the effects when running lots of delay() calls (which is what I do in "ECO" mode)

Oetsch
Normal user

#5 Post by Oetsch » 08 May 2021, 21:26

@TD-er

Sorry, guess a little too much off topic. This pictures are taken from a Shelly 2.5 (not mine) to show typical situation. A list which components are involved in max temperature are available and mostly power supply components.

But this is just to give a feedback to ath why I like to replace the shelly hardware.

Blitzwolf was an idea from me and I´m aware that this might not be the highest quality choice, but what alternative do I have?

Before I give the Blitzwolf devices a try I´d like to check if its possible to operate espeasy because of the "special" input detection. This is my main question regarding this topic.

In addition I installed a temperature sensor to an ESP8266 which is also operated within the same junction box and the temperature inside is currently 27°C and the shelly 2.5 again at 85°C with relays off.