ESPEasy Watchdog

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

tjfs
New user

ESPEasy Watchdog

#1 Post by tjfs » 12 Jan 2022, 15:35

There is support in ESPEasy for an external ATTiny85 watchdog chip.

Given that the ESP8266 has built in software and hardware watchdog functions, is it necessary or desirable to have an external ATTiny85 watchdog in addition?

Thanks

Tim

Ath
Normal user

Re: ESPEasy Watchdog

#2 Post by Ath » 12 Jan 2022, 15:50

Hi,

IMHO, that would be totally based on requirements: If you need to run your ESP 'forever', to keep some process going, and the regular watchdog isn't cutting the mustard (in time), then you could add an external watchdog.

Not sure if it is based on an ATTiny85, but one can be configured living on the I2C bus by the "WD I2C Address:" setting in Tools/Advanced. (Have not used it myself though)
/Ton (PayPal.me)

tjfs
New user

#3 Post by tjfs » 12 Jan 2022, 15:55

Agreed.. I wondered if anyone has had experience of the standard ESP8266 watchdogs with ESPEasy and found them to be good enough or to require an external watchdog.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 12 Jan 2022, 15:58

It is still possible the node can become unresponsive.
One example is when the ESP is powered via some battery and the battery voltage drops below some threshold.
Then the ESP may no longer be able to boot up unless you perform a power cycle.

For other situations it is rather unlikely you will be locked out, but I have seen sometimes that a WiFi reconnect may act different when it is power cycled compared to a warm reboot.
So it still may be useful, but it is usually not needed.

For some setups where you cannot easily power cycle, you may consider using an external watchdog.