P1 meter working but nothing seen in espeasy

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

supersjimmie
Normal user

P1 meter working but nothing seen in espeasy

#1 Post by supersjimmie » 21 Oct 2020, 13:11

I am struggling for a while now with espeasy and my P1 meter.

It's a Kaifa MA304, afaik DSMR v4.
This meter is sending data at 115k2/n/8/1 with an inverted signal. This signal is reverted to normal via the usual resistors and bc547 transistor.

I know the meter is working fine, for two reasons.
1. When connected with the inverter hardware directly to my rpi with home assistant, it works fine.
2. When connected with the intverter to a serial-to-usb converter to my laptop, it works fine. (simple serial port opened in putty)

When I use the exact setup as in 2. and connect it to the RX pin of my esp8266, set espeasy with 115200/8/n/1 etcetera and tcp 8088, I seem to receive nothing in espeasy.
(I disabled the com port in the advanced espeasy setup to free it for connecting the P1)
The debug log only shows the starting and stopping, nothing about data. Also in the Devices list, there is no data shown at the end of the line of the P1.

When I connect via putty to espeasy over port 8088, it connects and espeasy logs the connection.
But nothing is shown here too.

Do I miss something here? And most important, what do I miss here?

supersjimmie
Normal user

Re: P1 meter working but nothing seen in espeasy

#2 Post by supersjimmie » 21 Oct 2020, 13:55

Ah, and then I found an old posting, where someone was not sure if the Serial port under Advanced should be disabled, or just Log to None and the Serial Enabled.
So I tried it with the Serial Enabled, and now I see the messages in the Putty session to port 8088.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: P1 meter working but nothing seen in espeasy

#3 Post by TD-er » 21 Oct 2020, 18:39

Plugins that use the serial port, should use that port exclusively.

So this means you need to uncheck (!!) the checkbox for "Enable Serial port:"
If you uncheck this, the log level setting for serial log is also ignored.

Just make sure the presence of an USB to serial chip is not affecting the operations of this P1 connection.