Cannot connect to CloudMQTT

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

andy
Normal user

Cannot connect to CloudMQTT

#1 Post by andy » 09 May 2016, 23:29

I'm trying to set up a cloud-based MQTT broker, and have settled on CloudMQTT (https://www.cloudmqtt.com) as a starting point. I've started with the Cute Cat free plan to try it out and see if I want to take it farther.

My question is: How do I connect to it? I've tried configuring the ESP as Domoticz MQTT, OpenHAB MQTT, and PiDome MQTT. CloudMQTT has issued me a server URL, user name, password, and port, but all I get are "MQTT : Failed to connected to broker" messages.

Here's a link to NodeMCU Lua script that might be helpful: https://www.cloudmqtt.com/docs-nodemcu.html

If anyone has some insight into this I would surely appreciate some help!

tozett
Normal user

Re: Cannot connect to CloudMQTT

#2 Post by tozett » 10 May 2016, 21:33

you may try first from some debian/raspberry systems...?

andy
Normal user

#3 Post by andy » 10 May 2016, 22:05

Thanks for the suggestion. I previously had Mosquitto installed on a Raspberry Pi and working great. The problem is my pi is good for a week or two, then corrupts the micro sd card and has to be reinstalled from scratch and configured. Yes, there are ways to harden a pi to avoid these issues, but I want to ultimately find a solution that non-technical people can deploy (like my mom). Since I'm relying on a wifi connection, I can assume I have internet connectivity as well, so a cloud based solution seems ideal.

tozett
Normal user

#4 Post by tozett » 11 May 2016, 07:20

ah, ok.
but i meant to try first the rasperry/debian as a client to connect to the could. than secondly the esp as a client .. :roll:

maartenpaauw
New user

#5 Post by maartenpaauw » 14 May 2018, 17:22

Did you ever found it out how to connect with CloudMQTT?

rayE
Normal user

#6 Post by rayE » 25 Apr 2019, 04:32

Did you ever found it out how to connect with CloudMQTT?

Drum
Normal user

#7 Post by Drum » 06 May 2019, 23:26

andy wrote: 10 May 2016, 22:05 Thanks for the suggestion. I previously had Mosquitto installed on a Raspberry Pi and working great. The problem is my pi is good for a week or two, then corrupts the micro sd card and has to be reinstalled from scratch and configured. Yes, there are ways to harden a pi to avoid these issues, but I want to ultimately find a solution that non-technical people can deploy (like my mom). Since I'm relying on a wifi connection, I can assume I have internet connectivity as well, so a cloud based solution seems ideal.
Wow, that is weird. I have had a raspberry pi 3 running mosquitto for 2 years with no problems. It is also running nodered and sqlite. I also have it running on an old laptop running linux mint and a lot of other stuff. It is amazing how much more a computer can do when you get rid of windows!

ThomasB
Normal user

#8 Post by ThomasB » 07 May 2019, 03:15

The problem is my pi is good for a week or two, then corrupts the micro sd card and has to be reinstalled from scratch and configured.
RPi is very hard on SD Cards. Constant writes to logs and such. So you MUST use high endurance cards to reduce the chance of early wear failures.

My example: I was getting only a few months of use on name brand cards (not fake name counterfeits), which was unacceptable. After switching to Transcend MLC NAND flash SD cards the premature failures have totally gone away. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BDKTQVO/

Also, never remove power from a RPi without issuing a shut down command (this prevents SD card corruption). Install a small UPS to prevent power outages from causing corruption.

- Thomas