New Features: Global Commands / Multiple AP

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

papperone
Normal user

New Features: Global Commands / Multiple AP

#1 Post by papperone » 30 Oct 2016, 08:47

Hi, I would like to raise these requests as I believe many of us will find them beneficial.

GLOBAL COMMANDS
I found few situation where I need to send same commands to all my ESPEasy nodes, and it's annoying to connect to each of them and as well time wasting.
Woudl be great to create a way (maybe via MQTT or other protocol) that all nodes will "listen" to specific global commands.
A typical example is from today, when daylight time changes I had to login to each of my 25 nodes to deselect this option and then as I was not sure I didn't miss any I reconnect to all of then to verify time was ok (maybe have "node time" reported in the node list on the main page?)
It took me more than half hour to do, while I though "would be great to send a command lile -dst=off- and all nodeas could update themselves"
As well other option could be a "global reboot", "global OTA", "global controller IP", "global WPA & key" and I'm sure the more we think more situation we get where this global commands can be really useful.

MULTIPLE AP
I have in my 3 floor house different access points to have better signal in all rooms; normally I configure ESPEasy nodes with details of closest AP, but it happens that one of them is not avail or need to be replaced (it happened to me last week when I upgrade it to new and better one) and in those time window all nodes that were conneted to that AP where out of the network while my other 2 AP where funciotnal and coudl have been used (even with low signal). A library esists already called <ESP8266WiFiMulti.h> that can be used to implement such feature easily.

Hope these suggestions can be evaluated to be added to future releases when RC will be closed and new developping opened again! ;)
I am ok to contribute in coding (I'm not a real master but can help) and testing of course :mrgreen:
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

jgrad
Normal user

Re: New Features: Global Commands / Multiple AP

#2 Post by jgrad » 01 Nov 2016, 10:00

you have my vote

regarding configuring multiple nodes: maybe one option can be to define one node as "master" and then on others to define "master node" and on particulary parameter to tick "inherit from master".

Reagarding multiple AP: I asked for same functionality here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1925&p=9000&hilit=multiple#p8908.

papperone
Normal user

#3 Post by papperone » 01 Nov 2016, 10:57

thanks jgrad, I was thinking to verify if those functionality can be implemented as plugins, but the time I've avail this period is very limited....
My TINDIE Store where you can find all ESP8266 boards I manufacture --> https://www.tindie.com/stores/GiovanniCas/
My Wiki Project page with self-made PCB/devices --> https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... :Papperone

Drum
Normal user

#4 Post by Drum » 03 Nov 2016, 10:54

Regarding the multiple AP issue, have you tried to set all your APs with the same SSID and password? This works for me at home and at work, although at work it can be a little hit or miss, they have around 50 APs in the building. At home I have no problems, the connection goes to the one with the strongest signal, but I don't think it is seamless wireless roaming. We are supposed to have seamless roaming with the REALLY expensive Cisco setup at work, but it is not always seamless. For ESPs if it looses the connection, it will try to connect again and if there are multiple APs with the same SSID and Password, in theory it should connect to the strongest signal.

In any case, unless there is something which works with dd-wrt you would probably have to buy new APs for anything like seamless roaming. Check out Open-Mesh, I have used them, they are relatively inexpensive and do mesh networking. Meraki and ubiquiti also have something but I believe they are more expensive. I bought 2 Open-Mesh APs about 8 years ago because we have a long house with half meter thick stone walls but I ended up with a devolo powerline system for indoors (it was too much for the older APs to collect through the walls) and use the Open-Mesh APs outside(they have a outdoor housing and POE).