WLAN scan - how can i select a AP?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

timsson
Normal user

WLAN scan - how can i select a AP?

#1 Post by timsson » 23 Nov 2016, 21:17

Hello,
i have 2AP - connected via PLC(Powerline).
How can i change the AP? The ESP connected the "wrong" AP....
Both have the same ssid and pw?
Thanks
wlan.jpg
wlan.jpg (11.83 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
wlan1.jpg
wlan1.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 4115 times

Drum
Normal user

Re: WLAN scan - how can i select a AP?

#2 Post by Drum » 24 Nov 2016, 15:28

In theory, it should connect to the strongest signal if they both have the same SSID and PW. I have only have that problem when "roaming", when I carry my tablet around the house, it will stay connected to the first AP until the signal drops below some point (no idea what it is). Whenever I connect it connects to the AP with the strongest signal. It doesn't see them as separate APs.

Try <ip address> /setup That should let you select the AP, but not sure what it will do if you restart it.. I will have to play with this, after I get done moving.

timsson
Normal user

Re: WLAN scan - how can i select a AP?

#3 Post by timsson » 24 Nov 2016, 17:14

Drum wrote:Try <ip address> /setup That should let you select the AP, but not sure what it will do if you restart it.. I will have to play with this, after I get done moving.
... thanks so i'm not alone ;)
but ip/setup, no chance to change...
Is hopping a feature from AP or client?

Code: Select all

ESP is connected and using IP Address x.x.x.x
Connect your laptop / tablet / phone back to your main Wifi network and Proceed to main config

Drum
Normal user

Re: WLAN scan - how can i select a AP? SSID VS MAC?

#4 Post by Drum » 03 Dec 2016, 09:44

Hmmm, no idea without doing a reset. It is possible something in the wifi system is looking at the mac address as well.

I believe moving to a new AP is a finction of the client when the signal gets too low or drops out completely. Easiest may be to reset, disconnect the AP you do not want it to connect to and re-configure. Or try switching the 2 powerline APs and see what happens, if feasable.
I do know the mac adress is not required to be the same because I just moved 2 espeasy modules a raspberry pi and new AP to our new house and no problems. I set the ssid and password the same as the old AP and they connected no problrm. Mac may be a preference, but if it is used I would expect it is part of the espressif firmware, not part of ESPEasy, but I do not know for sure.