Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Post Reply
Message
Author
nygma
Normal user
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 11:16

Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#1 Post by nygma » 30 Jan 2017, 10:29

Hi Guys,

I have 5 Sonoff devices all running ESP Easy 120. All 5 are at the same place, right next to each other. Some of them working OK, the response from the config page sometimes times out, but otherwise OK.
But there is one, which is almost impossible to access. It is showing up on my network so I know it is connected, but I need to refresh the webpage like 6-8 times in order to load. My Chrome either says that connection is times out, or just keeps loading forever. When I load the Main page, all seems to be OK (all other Sonoff show the same values):
Load: 37% (LC=22419)
Uptime: 1051 minutes
Wifi RSSI: -60 dB
IP: 192.168.1.130
GW: 192.168.1.254
Build: 120
Core Version: 2_3_0
Unit: 0
STA MAC: 5c:cf:7f:96:22:aa
AP MAC: 5e:cf:7f:96:22:aa
ESP Chip ID: 9839274
Flash Chip ID: 1327328
Flash Size: 1024 kB
Sketch Size/Free: 401 kB / 536 kB
Free Mem: 28240
Boot cause: Cold boot

I am also playing around with rules.
I noticed that "sendTo 4,event,startevent" almost never works. So I added "SendToHTTP 192.168.1.131,80,/control?cmd=event,startevent" and it is working without any issues. I have the Unit Nr set on the device sitting on 131, but still it does not work.

Can you suggest something for these issues?

Regards,
Csongor

CoolRemote
Normal user
Posts: 42
Joined: 17 Jan 2017, 15:27
Location: Groningen (Nederland)

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#2 Post by CoolRemote » 30 Jan 2017, 14:12

Maybe it is down to the quality of these Sonoff modules? They respond very slow, after a reboot they take a couple of minutes to come back online. Besides that, if these modules are sitting (too) close to each other, can it be that they interfere with each other? I wonder if others here have the same experience.

I noticed that before flashing, the Sonoff goes offline too now and again without any clear reason and later it comes back online.

dlefol
Normal user
Posts: 26
Joined: 11 Nov 2015, 23:28

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#3 Post by dlefol » 08 Feb 2017, 14:30

I have 4 sonoff and I find them very unreliable. I tested various version of ESP Easy on them, but the Sonoff are always slow and seem to drop out of the network regularly despite being in a place with excellent wifi coverage. I reached a point where I consider them less reliable than the standard KaKu plug I was hoping to replace using the Sonoff.

nygma
Normal user
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 11:16

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#4 Post by nygma » 08 Feb 2017, 15:23

I have very mixed experience. Some of them working without any issues, others are worse and drop the HTTP connection. But HTTP control and MQTT always seem to work.

User avatar
toffel969
Normal user
Posts: 469
Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 10:58
Location: Germany

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#5 Post by toffel969 » 09 Feb 2017, 07:46

I have two sonoff running, i had the same Problem as op, but also experienced the same with nodemcus.
For sent to: did you activate udp communication ( by giving it a Port number and activating global sync) it works, if you see the other nodes in the nodes List.
Also make sure, all units have different unit no and name.

For Web Server responsiveness : i find a regular ping keeps the units responsive. I made ping Sensors in domoticz(alive checker) that call the units every 5 min, since then no pb. Also you can track availability over time
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

nygma
Normal user
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 11:16

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#6 Post by nygma » 09 Feb 2017, 09:39

Thanks for the global sync hints. I did not set it yet.
I will also set up ping as well. Will see if this improves reliability.

User avatar
toffel969
Normal user
Posts: 469
Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 10:58
Location: Germany

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#7 Post by toffel969 » 09 Feb 2017, 18:06

nygma wrote:Thanks for the global sync hints. I did not set it yet.
I will also set up ping as well. Will see if this improves reliability.
Dont forget to give all the units different numbers (not 0!). I had the most unreliable situations when there where more than one unit with the same unit no on the network
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

nygma
Normal user
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 11:16

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#8 Post by nygma » 09 Feb 2017, 18:48

toffel969 wrote: Dont forget to give all the units different numbers (not 0!). I had the most unreliable situations when there where more than one unit with the same unit no on the network
Yes, that was clear for me too, but I did not know about the need for global sync. Anything else? What about the UDP? (I don't have an ESP in front of me right now).

User avatar
toffel969
Normal user
Posts: 469
Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 10:58
Location: Germany

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#9 Post by toffel969 » 10 Feb 2017, 10:13

nygma wrote:
toffel969 wrote: Dont forget to give all the units different numbers (not 0!). I had the most unreliable situations when there where more than one unit with the same unit no on the network
Yes, that was clear for me too, but I did not know about the need for global sync. Anything else? What about the UDP? (I don't have an ESP in front of me right now).
Check http://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index ... GlobalSync

GlobalSync communication runs via UDP port, not TCP. So you need to set the UDP port under Advanced tab to the same value (not conflicting with UDP ports in use in the network)
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

mushkin92
Normal user
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 18:37

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#10 Post by mushkin92 » 21 Feb 2017, 18:46

Hi All,

Ouf i'm not the only one to have wifi issues with these modules!

FYI : below the message i posted in ITEAD support site :
I have a lot of troubles with 4 SonOff (without RF)
Explanation :
- During first tests with official application eWelink i had a lot of difficulties to pair the module. Finally, after pairing i had to be very close to my AP to avoid lost status with application (appliance detected as offline).
- After some searches, it appears that theses modules are based on ESP8266 chipset, some i compare with my DYI IOT based on the same chipset.
Tests:
- Flash same firmware(ESPEasy version 147) on SonOff and an NodeMCU8266(A dev board with ESP8266 chipset)
- 3 cases:
- SonOff powered directly with 3.3v (From power lab) : Wifi Qualifity reception : -74db and icmp test = 2-3ms (Same value with NodeMCU)
- SonOff powered with main AC Power : Most of time(90%) connection to AP is not possible and when connection can be done, icmp request go from 2 to 200ms for a few seconds connection fail
- SonOff powered with main AC Power AND wire between 2 finger to 3.3vor gnd pin : With OK !!!

-> Conclusion : There is perhaps issue with AC-DC circuitry (Regulation, stability, power etc) and as is theses modules are unusable.

i am very disappointed :-(

I post a video with the bug : https://youtu.be/5qrEnD1dqmA

Help !
And their answer :
We don't support customer flash their firmware,if customer do it,we won't take any responsibility for the device.Sorry.
Conclusion : Go to dustbin and lets try Electrodragon module (Ordered 3 yesterday)

paxi
Normal user
Posts: 121
Joined: 02 Feb 2017, 00:48
Location: Germany

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#11 Post by paxi » 21 Feb 2017, 21:51

- SonOff powered with main AC Power AND wire between 2 finger to 3.3vor gnd pin : With OK !!!
I don't get it - please elaborate on what you did exactly in this test. Mains power and finger in the same sentence sounds dangerous. :shock:

ESP8266's are a "spikey" load.
The sonoffs have very little capacitance on the 3.3V side - according to the schematic 22uF at the regulator output and some small ones around the chip. Ceramic caps are usually rated for 20% tolerance so in worst case the esp has to rely on less than 18uF. On the supply side is a bigger electolytic cap, maybe they cheaped out on that and it could be wise to support the regulators input with a 10uF ceramic (low esr) like the AMS1117 datasheet suggests.

Retrieve yours from the bin and add a big cap (470uF) as close as possible to the chip, that should help with stability. ;)

I share your experience with a sonoff running wonky from its own AC supply but stable through a cheap AMS1117 module (which has 10uF + 100nF ceramics on both sides - input and output). Without an oscilloscope it's guesswork but I feel the regulator itself isn't running stable in the original circuit design. I have parts coming and will try to improve it.

The customer support's answer is miserably anyhow... :evil:

DavidVT
Normal user
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 04:27

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#12 Post by DavidVT » 24 Feb 2017, 13:15

Out of box with 9 units thus far: I have had one Sonoff unit that will not work on Mains at all. Programmed fine powered by the programming cable but that was it. I had one unit that had wifi poor connectivity. I reloaded ESPeasy a few days later and subjectively the unit started to work better. All are on 147 I believe. I have another box of them coming...

As to performance:
I just found this last night (which brought me to this thread) and set it up on my system for a mixture of 6 Sonoffs and raw Esp8266 units. Thank you to the author for a nice learning example..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1vvyuf39c
http://flows.nodered.org/flow/1963bdc55 ... 7ecc859612

After running it for 6 hours, I see good connectivity to all and was not surprised to see my heavily loaded 4 channel Sonoff (8 one wire sensors) responding often two seconds slower than the others.
image.png
image.png (84.68 KiB) Viewed 5447 times
In the image, that Sonoff is sitting on the AP(g), the Base41 ( raw Esp8266 ) is three rooms away.

As a side query, the Base41 unit is near another AP(n) with the same credentials. None of these ESP units will talk to that AP(n) but the iPad, phones, computers and roku love it. Do the Esp units not like (n)?
The (g) AP is using channel 11 and the (n) is using channel 36. I can see them both from the end of the house with the iPad. -45db and -85db respectively.

nygma
Normal user
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 11:16

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#13 Post by nygma » 24 Feb 2017, 16:15

First of all, thank you for using my flow for running the stats. I have to say this makes me interested. Is it possible that there is so much difference between individual models? None of my models are as reliable as yours.

DavidVT
Normal user
Posts: 18
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 04:27

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#14 Post by DavidVT » 25 Feb 2017, 04:34

All seem to have this status now:
My delay is 15sec not 5sec so that may make mine look better.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (85.25 KiB) Viewed 5422 times

Yann1420@live.co.uk
Normal user
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Apr 2017, 08:55

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#15 Post by Yann1420@live.co.uk » 14 Aug 2017, 10:21

I just came across this topic and wonder if there is any news.
I have 5x sonoff all running R120 in the house and the connection is far from reliable. I will try to setup the RN flow and see what happens.

Thx - Yann

nygma
Normal user
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 11:16

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#16 Post by nygma » 14 Aug 2017, 16:47

Not much from my side. Or to be precise I have not done extensive testing since this post. Whatever is said here is certainly true, having multiple units appear cause interference. I can also suggest to set the 2.4Ghz wifi channel to a channel which is less busy. On my router it was set to automatic, and it was using Channel 1 where most other routers are (neighbors). I changed the settings manually to Channel 11. I have a TH10, Touch running next to each other (original firmware) and they are fine now. So try this as well.

aero83
Normal user
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Feb 2017, 22:17

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#17 Post by aero83 » 18 Aug 2017, 16:55

paxi wrote:
21 Feb 2017, 21:51
- SonOff powered with main AC Power AND wire between 2 finger to 3.3vor gnd pin : With OK !!!
I don't get it - please elaborate on what you did exactly in this test. Mains power and finger in the same sentence sounds dangerous. :shock:

ESP8266's are a "spikey" load.
The sonoffs have very little capacitance on the 3.3V side - according to the schematic 22uF at the regulator output and some small ones around the chip. Ceramic caps are usually rated for 20% tolerance so in worst case the esp has to rely on less than 18uF. On the supply side is a bigger electolytic cap, maybe they cheaped out on that and it could be wise to support the regulators input with a 10uF ceramic (low esr) like the AMS1117 datasheet suggests.

Retrieve yours from the bin and add a big cap (470uF) as close as possible to the chip, that should help with stability. ;)

I share your experience with a sonoff running wonky from its own AC supply but stable through a cheap AMS1117 module (which has 10uF + 100nF ceramics on both sides - input and output). Without an oscilloscope it's guesswork but I feel the regulator itself isn't running stable in the original circuit design. I have parts coming and will try to improve it.

The customer support's answer is miserably anyhow... :evil:

I followed this advice. Resolved the issue for me.

icanic
Normal user
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Oct 2018, 10:45

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#18 Post by icanic » 04 Oct 2018, 10:49

Greetings!
Can someone tell me how to use web log from esp easy with password authentication. When I put password in http request node in node red I only get ECONNRESET error, But when I login to esp easy via web and then go to node red and click on timestamp button then all goes well.

Thank you!

TD-er
Core team member
Posts: 1922
Joined: 01 Sep 2017, 22:13
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#19 Post by TD-er » 04 Oct 2018, 10:52

icanic wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 10:49
Greetings!
Can someone tell me how to use web log from esp easy with password authentication. When I put password in http request node in node red I only get ECONNRESET error, But when I login to esp easy via web and then go to node red and click on timestamp button then all goes well.

Thank you!
This sounds like either a bug, or a feature request. (thin line between the two ;) )
Can you add an issue about that on Github?
Also please add some extra info in that issue what exactly you try to do (URLs and such)

icanic
Normal user
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Oct 2018, 10:45

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#20 Post by icanic » 04 Oct 2018, 16:11

I have solved the problem. I just need to put address of ESP Easy with "/login" at the end and everything is working.
But I have another problem, I dont know why my chart does not show legend and the pie chart does not look like pie chart. The problem showed on the picture https://imgur.com/a/Xm2sdL5

icanic
Normal user
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Oct 2018, 10:45

Re: Unreliable config page and SendTo connectivity

#21 Post by icanic » 04 Oct 2018, 16:12

TD-er wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 10:52
icanic wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 10:49
Greetings!
Can someone tell me how to use web log from esp easy with password authentication. When I put password in http request node in node red I only get ECONNRESET error, But when I login to esp easy via web and then go to node red and click on timestamp button then all goes well.

Thank you!
This sounds like either a bug, or a feature request. (thin line between the two ;) )
Can you add an issue about that on Github?
Also please add some extra info in that issue what exactly you try to do (URLs and such)
I have solved the problem. I just need to put address of ESP Easy with "/login" at the end and everything is working.
But I have another problem, I dont know why my chart does not show legend and the pie chart does not look like pie chart. The problem showed on the picture https://imgur.com/a/Xm2sdL5

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests