MQTT Encryption Possible?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

sheppy
Normal user

MQTT Encryption Possible?

#1 Post by sheppy » 01 Mar 2017, 23:29

I've been using ESPEasy locally for a while now, and it works very well. Is there a way to use it securely across the internet using something like TLS and certificates connecting to port 8883? If not, is it possible for this to be added in future, maybe at the expense of some of the other features? I only use GPIO and 1-Wire sensors
Thanks

JustmeNL
Normal user

Re: MQTT Encryption Possible?

#2 Post by JustmeNL » 02 Mar 2017, 21:41

Hi,

It should be possible but without chain verification, only the fingerprint of the server will be verified. It is still in development though. The version with encryption will have a heavy toll on RAM usage so exepect less builtin devices.

sheppy
Normal user

#3 Post by sheppy » 02 Mar 2017, 21:43

Thanks for the reply, do you know when the next version with encryption will be out?

JustmeNL
Normal user

#4 Post by JustmeNL » 02 Mar 2017, 21:48

Sorry, no.

Just started the research on it.

Martinus

#5 Post by Martinus » 04 Mar 2017, 10:58

sheppy wrote:I've been using ESPEasy locally for a while now, and it works very well. Is there a way to use it securely across the internet using something like TLS and certificates connecting to port 8883? If not, is it possible for this to be added in future, maybe at the expense of some of the other features? I only use GPIO and 1-Wire sensors
Thanks
Encryption like TLS/SSL is basically supported by the ESP8266 Arduino Core but it consumes huge amounts of RAM. Earlier experiments on ESP Easy running SSL have only led to system crashes and malfunctioning due to low memory situations. It seems almost impossible to adopt things like this in the current project.

sheppy
Normal user

#6 Post by sheppy » 04 Mar 2017, 11:21

I wonder if the ESP32 will be a better fit for this? I guess running out of resources is the problem with software such as ESPEasy that supports many things on a low powered device.
I see that Adafruit has a library that supports TLS, has anyone got experience with this either good or bad?

psy0rz
Normal user

#7 Post by psy0rz » 04 Mar 2017, 20:53

i wonder if espeasy runs on the esp32 without modifications. it has 512kb ram i think? we used to run msdos with that ;)
Please support ESPEasy development via Patreon or buy us a coffee.

sheppy
Normal user

#8 Post by sheppy » 04 Mar 2017, 21:12

psy0rz wrote:i wonder if espeasy runs on the esp32 without modifications. it has 512kb ram i think? we used to run msdos with that ;)
Yes those were the days, continually running out of DOS base memory on Windows 3.1 just as you were about to save something important :? :twisted:
I think in my case I will have to experiment with a custom sketch with just the 1-wire library and a TLS supporting MQTT library, plus anything else that's needed to make it connect to wifi