Odd problems when trying to write to H801 Wifi Controller

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

cradleinflames
New user

Odd problems when trying to write to H801 Wifi Controller

#1 Post by cradleinflames » 11 Mar 2017, 07:55

Hello everyone,

A little background, I'm an electrical engineer with experience working with software, hardware, firmware, systems design, etc so I have a pretty good grasp of the firmware programming process. However, I've been at this a while and figure I'm probably missing something really basic (that's usually the issue when most people can get something working and you can't . . . usually user error) so I'm assuming that's my issue and I need a second set of eyes. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone near me with this kind of experience so I was hoping you guys can take a look at what I'm doing and see if I'm missing something.

I'm trying to get the H801 Wifi controller to work and have been following the following video to get it going:

https://youtu.be/3Kg_-bmBErM?t=4m36s

The command he's using is shown in the video. The problem I'm getting is I keep seeing "access is denied" when trying to run the command and I can't seem to wrap my head around what's going on. Below is a description of the attachments:

1) This is the file structure I'm using to program the flash on my controller before I've called any commands
2) This is the command I'm putting in. You will notice it says "access denied". No idea what this refers to and I can't find any references on this board about the same issue
3) This is the file structure after I've called any sort of command (even navigating to the folder in dos and typing dir/p will cause the esptool.exe file to disappear. Maybe this is normal and it's being created during the execution process. Maybe not, but I thought it was worth noting
4) This is what I'm getting when I try and run the flash.cmd file. I'm assuming I'm seeing this error because the esptools.exe is disappearing
5) This is what I'm getting when flashing with a separate tool (ESP8266 Flash downloader). It appears to be working but it is showing me that it's not exiting flash mode so it could be it's not actually working (though this is how I'm confirming that my physical connections are correct as when I have the wiring not connected correctly, it won't proceed. So hardware-wise, it appears to be setup correctly.

Based on what I'm seeing, there are a few possible explanations for what I'm seeing:

1) I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something crucial
2) Something on my computer is causing that esptools.exe file to disappear, which is causing the issues I'm seeing. Although I have the virus protection currently disabled (it's called Cylance, but no idea what else my company might have running in the background), maybe something is still causing issues
3) I'm using a programmer off amazon that might have a counterfit FTDI chip on it (apparently, they're all over the place and it's getting harder and harder to find modules with genuine FTDI chips. It's possible it's being flagged as counterfit and causing gremlins on my system)

If anyone has seen this before, please let me know, especially if you found a way around it! I've been at this for longer than I would like to admit and I haven't made any headway. If I'm missing any details or you need further information, please let me know. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
05 Flash Downloader output.jpg
05 Flash Downloader output.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
04 Command structure when using flash.cmd.jpg
04 Command structure when using flash.cmd.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
03 File structure after calling command.jpg
03 File structure after calling command.jpg (51.58 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
02 Command Called in Dos Prompt.jpg
02 Command Called in Dos Prompt.jpg (78.32 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
01 File structure before calling command.jpg
01 File structure before calling command.jpg (56.47 KiB) Viewed 3370 times

paxi
Normal user

Re: Odd problems when trying to write to H801 Wifi Controller

#2 Post by paxi » 14 Mar 2017, 04:21

I think it's 2) - you're missing the privilege to execute random unknown programms. Talk to your admin, but I doubt he will expose "his" environment to such a risk. :)

Shardan
Normal user

Re: Odd problems when trying to write to H801 Wifi Controller

#3 Post by Shardan » 14 Mar 2017, 20:35

I'd second paxi.

Is that a company computer in an active directory?
Then there might be a policy denying access to .exe files.
Ask your sysadmin, but as paxi said, i don't think he might be willing to
expose the network to a risk (I'm sysadmin myself and i wouldn't either ;) )

If it's your private computer without active directory connection,
try moving out that stuff to an external disk. Even an USB stick
may suffice for testing purposes even it is slow.
The /users folder has some properties of it's own.

Another point:
Check for anti virus software possibly blocking unknown .exe-Files.
I've seen some av programs that block executables outside the
c:\programs folders and / or executables that are not installed
by Windows installer and written "officially "to the registry.

Hope something of those helps

Regards
Shardan
Regards
Shardan