UDP port configuration confusion

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

lucaberta
Normal user

UDP port configuration confusion

#1 Post by lucaberta » 04 May 2017, 02:33

Hi,

I have compiled and ran the latest Mega code and have noticed that a few graphical changes have been done on the GUI, most notably in the Advanced tab.

One thing which has always been very confusing for me was the notion of "UDP port" configuration which in previous versions was put after the syslog IP and syslog level fields.
Now the label has been changed to "Syslog UDP port" and has been moved in between the syslog IP and syslog level field.

Except that the UDP port which is included in that configuration line is *NOT* used for syslog! It's instead used for the sendSysInfoUDP function which is extremely useful as it allows for automatic discovery of all the ESPEasy units on the local LAN, and they are displayed in a table at the bottom of the main tab, if one decides to put the same UDP port in that configuration item.

Granted, if you put 514 thinking that the port is for syslog (whose default port is 514) things DO work too, but it's quite misleading.

In fact, checking the actual syslog code, port 514 is hardwired in the syslog client at the very top of Networking.ino.

Some cleanup of the configuration and better description of this feature would be in order, in my view. It is extremely useful, and I have discovered it just by coincidence!

Thanks and bye, Luca

krikk
Normal user

Re: UDP port configuration confusion

#2 Post by krikk » 04 May 2017, 08:11

definitly a bug, could have been reported directly to github issue... :) ...perhaps i will have a look in the evening on it...

lucaberta
Normal user

#3 Post by lucaberta » 04 May 2017, 10:13

Thanks, I am always a bit torn on what to use first to report such an issue, and that is why I chose to open a forum thread.

Here is the Github issue link, too:
https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/issues/264

Thanks,

Luca

krikk
Normal user

#4 Post by krikk » 04 May 2017, 10:47

its good to ask on the forum first, but if you are sure that it is a bug and can even "confirm" it by looking at the code, you can open an issue :)

psy0rz
Normal user

#5 Post by psy0rz » 04 May 2017, 11:23

indeed, indeed. thank for reporting.
Please support ESPEasy development via Patreon or buy us a coffee.