Device naming issues, inconsistencies and suggestions for improval

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

bluejedi
Normal user

Device naming issues, inconsistencies and suggestions for improval

#1 Post by bluejedi » 10 Jun 2017, 15:00

From UX perspective and for consistency I suggest that in the Device drop down list (under Devices/Device/Task Settings/Device) device names be not combined but named independently, each as a separate entry in the list.
  • Currently some device(type)s appear combined with others in a single entry in the Device dropdown list, e.g. 'Environment - DHT 11/12/22'. They are probably combined because they are similar and can be serviced by the same plugin/library/code.
    For consistency and future compatibility I would prefer separate entries for each device(type), in this case 3 separate entries, one for each of DHT 11/12/23.
    Even if all these three types of devices can be serviced by the same plugin/code, using separate entries is preferred because it is more logical. The underlying plugin/code to be used can be determined from the selected device type (decoupling of device type name from plugin name, I don't mean separating plugins/code here).
    Having a separate entry in the list of devices for each separate device is not only more logical but also more future proof. If in future a plugin will be extended to support any new devices then the name of the 'device' will not have to be changed. Instead a new device type shall be added to the list of devices and the underlying code knows which plugin/module to use for that device. The UI should only lists the new device type instead of e.g. having to rename a 'device' entry like 'DHT11/12/22' to 'DHT11/12/22/AM2320'.
  • From usability (UX) perspective it would even be nice if in step 1 the user could select the device type e.g. DHT12 and then in step 2 select the type of interface used (if the device supports multiple interfaces) e.g. in case of DHT12: 1-wire and I2C. I'm not sure if this is (technically) possible, depending on how the plugins/modules/UI are technically implemented.
  • DHT12 supports both 1-wire and I2C interfaces. For 1-wire support one has to select device 'Environment - DHT11/12/22' and for I2C support one has to select 'Environment - DHT12 (I2C)'.
    'DHT12 (I2C)' uses I2C which is self explanatory from the name. Selecting 'DHT11/12/22' makes no explicit statement about 1-wire, not in the name but "1-wire" is also not displayed once the 'device' is selected from the list. This might suffice :ugeek: but imo for :geek: "1-wire" should at least be displayed somewhere once 'DHT11/12/22' has been selected as device. It is more clear and prevents ambiguity.