Flashing Sonoff Wifi Modules / not working

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

elaroche
New user

Re: Flashing Sonoff Wifi Modules / not working

#31 Post by elaroche » 27 Dec 2017, 17:35

Hi guys,

Just registered because I'm having the same problems.
My equipments:
- SonOff Basics
- SonOff TH10 & sensor

I already flashed a sonoff basic with FlashDownloadTool and Firmware 2.00 without any trouble.
Then I tried to flash the TH10 without any success. I checked everything I could hundreds of time (soldering quality, button, spi speed, etc.)
I changed the firmware for the 1.20 : same thing.
It happens that I can flash it with FlashESP8266 from ESPEasy but without any wifi.
After trying so much finally once I've been able to see the ESP_0 wifi and to set the TH10 as I wanted. Actually I set up the LED setting on the wrong GPIO and then........ nothing happened anymore like it was dead. I tryied unplugging of course.
And well I'm stuck again on the flashing that doesn't work ([ESP8266Loader_spi[1]][espDownloader.pyo][line:457][ERROR]: ESP8266 Chip flash download error esp_write_flash.) or success but without WIFI :oops: :?:

Does it make sense for you ? I tryied DIO, DOUT, etc. .....

Any idea ? Thanks to you.

TD-er
Core team member

#32 Post by TD-er » 28 Dec 2017, 11:45

Are you sure it is an ESP8266 and not an ESP8285?

elaroche
New user

#33 Post by elaroche » 04 Jan 2018, 22:43

Hi,

Thank you for your help and sorry for the late delay I didn't have any notification.
Yes I double checked.
I also learned how to use arduino IDE to check and same results.

after a few days I retried everything and sometimes I can flash it but the ESP wifi is never showing up :(
With these I tryied to flash straight out of the box, maybe they need a first run with ewelink :?: :?:

BlackMirrorView
New user

#34 Post by BlackMirrorView » 08 Jan 2018, 23:25

I have not read through the whole post, but I hope this will help.

Last week I bought two Sonoff Basic units and followed the instructions for flashing them and had the same issue where the AP never showed. I tried multiple time and also noted that when flashing the program would often get connection errors before flashing.

I even tried two different USB to serial devices, but they both did the same thing.

After much Googling, I found two things that will hopefully help you.

My board seems to be the newer version from Sonoff (it says v1.1 on the board) and it turns out that Sonoff has made a change to the new boards.

The first thing I learned was that the new board needs to be flashed in DOUT flash mode and the only way I have found to do that is via download of the source, compile and flash via Arduino software.

That did not work at first and was even worse as I just got an immediate connection error, with no retries like with the ESPEasy flash software. So I went Googling again.

The second thing I learned is that Sonoff made a second change to the new board and you have to hold the black button in the whole time from connecting the Sonoff Basic to the USB to serial device and only release the button after the compile and flash has complete. Connection is immediate after compile and the flash does not take long. Doing this resulted in the AP showing up after disconnecting power and power the Sonoff on again (without holding the black button).

I am a complete noob at this, but I hope my advice helps.

elaroche
New user

#35 Post by elaroche » 16 Jan 2018, 22:13

Thank you and I saw and tried the steps already. No luck for me :(.
I'm still trying. If I found something I will tell.
:oops: :evil: :twisted:

TD-er
Core team member

#36 Post by TD-er » 17 Jan 2018, 00:09

elaroche wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 22:13 Thank you and I saw and tried the steps already. No luck for me :(.
I'm still trying. If I found something I will tell.
:oops: :evil: :twisted:
Can you look on the flash chip and see if it has a "PUYA" label on it?

joemoer
New user

#37 Post by joemoer » 17 Jan 2018, 16:41