How to control 1-wire-switches e.g. DS2405

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

tombre
New user

How to control 1-wire-switches e.g. DS2405

#1 Post by tombre » 17 Feb 2018, 10:58

Hello!
I'm rather new to HomeAutomation and ESPEasy. I came to here through the HomeAutomation-Software FHEM i use to control the heating in my house.
For only controlling the radiator valves not really makes big sense if you want to save energy, i also wanted to control the floor heating circuits and connect boiler to control the supply-temperature and signal that energy is needed basically (if no valve is opened, there's no need to keep the temperature up). So i started to look for a solution to meet all this needs and came to ESP8266 and ESPEasy...
ESPEasy seems to be the right solution for me:
- WLAN (minimized cabelling, no data-traffic restrictions)
- no extra controller needed
- 1-Wire-Support for the temperature sensors (also minimized cabelling)
- PWM output for the temperature-setup of my Vaillant-heating (clamps 7,8,9)
- minimum of programming needed.

But: There is one thing i could not find out yet: How can i control 1-Wire-Switches as e.g. DS2405?

I wanted to use DS2405 in combination with solid state relais to control the valves of the floor heating and in combination with a relais to signal the need of heating to the boiler.
Sure, there are also GPIOs left, i could use for that. But they are limited and if i use them, there's no more room for further expansions, i'm thinking of, e.g. a oled status display. I wanted to implement this in the same ESP to be able to operate it in "island-mode", if WLAN fails and there's no possibility to fix it immediately.

Is there someonte who could help me with my problem (perhaps alredy operates 1-wire-switches and has adapted the source-code, if there's no way to do so with the regular software)?

If it is interresting for someone in the forum, i already designed a PCB and built up a protoype with following features: NodeMCU V3 (Lolin), analogue output (opto-isolated from the ESP) to control the temperature- setup of Vaillant heating on clamps 7,8,9, Two 1-wire-channels (opto-isolated from each other, the PWM and the ESP, but both connected to the same GPIO to realize 1-wire with different voltages), onboard power-supply with Hi-Link-modules for ESP, 1-Wire A and 1-Wire B, (analogue-output is powered by the heating). I have some PCBs left, i could give away.

Thomas

Domosapiens
Normal user

Re: How to control 1-wire-switches e.g. DS2405

#2 Post by Domosapiens » 17 Feb 2018, 16:49

30+ ESP units for production and test. Ranging from control of heating equipment, flow sensing, floor temp sensing, energy calculation, floor thermostat, water usage, to an interactive "fun box" for my grandson. Mainly Wemos D1.

tombre
New user

#3 Post by tombre » 17 Feb 2018, 19:27

Thank you domosapiens for your quick answer.
I already thought about using the I2C port expander, but if possible, i would prefer using a 1-wire-solution, because length of an I2C-Bus is rather limited compared to a 1-wire-bus.
Further, i want to keep everything that is installed in an other room or connected to an other system electrical insulated from the processor to prevent malfunction caused by vagabonding currents etc.. and the insulation for the 1-wire-bus to the place, where the switches would be located already exists, because there will be some 18B20 installed in the same place. For an I2C-bus, i would have to realize another insulation.

budman1758
Normal user

#4 Post by budman1758 » 17 Feb 2018, 20:08

There is a way to extend I2C for just about any distance you may need. I'm looking at possibly trying these out.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/1216549
"The glass is twice as big as it needs to be".