SDK mac 662 errors

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Martinus

SDK mac 662 errors

#1 Post by Martinus » 22 Dec 2015, 14:28

In my test lab I've seen occasional SDK error messages in the serial log: mac 662. (According to Iggr, this would indicate low level transmit errors)

After that message, the watchdog kicks in and the ESP reboots. For me this is not a real issue so far, because it will still continue to work after reboot. But it seems new to using core 2.0.0. and using dallas and/or DHT sensors. According to Iggr this could be related to interrupt blocking used in the code used by those sensors. So other people using these sensors may also be affected by this issue.

Frequency is approx. 1 time per day, although another unit only had it once during a few days.

The code for Dallas and DHT plugins needs to be reviewed and probably changed.
To my knowledge it does not effect other situations.

dduley
Normal user

Re: SDK mac 662 errors

#2 Post by dduley » 13 Mar 2016, 16:43

I get this as well on all of my units. I have 10 or so ESPs scattered around. They all suffer from occasional resetting. Them message is "mac 662" or sometimes I get a "Fatal Error (28)" followed by a stack dump. This is a major problem for me because I am controlling lights and often find myself in the dark when this occurs. Sometimes it happens once or twice a day and others it is 5 times a night. The units that are farthest from an AP seem to reset all of the time and eventually go into AP mode where they sit and wait for a manual reset. This is definitely a software issue. I have used capacitors and all of the other stuff that people suggest when weird things happen. The serial logs indicate a memory leak or networking issue.

Anybody else have this issue and fixed it?

CHK_BLN
Normal user

#3 Post by CHK_BLN » 14 Mar 2016, 17:54

I also have the problem that the ESP have connected to a DHT22 or DS18B20 repeatedly perform a reboot. Without sensor no reboot.

dduley
Normal user

#4 Post by dduley » 14 Mar 2016, 20:21

A little update: I spent all day yesterday with serial adapters connected to several of my ESPs. I eliminated all tasks and just used the native GPIO output to control a solid state relay. I still have resets. Now it is always the Fatal Exception (28) error message. My ESP modules are all ESP8266-12E modules. Some are the naked ESP module and others are on Node MCU 1.0 daughter boards. I decided to eliminate the possibility that I was introducing something by compiling in the arduino IDE. I downloaded the last stable version from the ESP8266.nu site (R078). I uploaded the 4096 memory version to the chip. Still had resets. Then I uploaded the 1024 version and so far no resets. I am absolutely certain that this is a firmware issue and nothing hardware related such as power supply. I have checked the power for high speed spikes using my scope and it is rock steady.

One other quirky symptom that I have noticed is with the WIFI LED definition on the Hardware page. If I issue a reset command, the parts memory is cleared and It seems to operate normally using the native GPIO commands. On many of my parts I use all of the available I/O so I want to be able to disable the WIFI LED. Just after a reset command is issued I can select the blank spot on the WIFI LED pull-down menu, thus disabling it. If I set up a task such as a switch input or an 18B20 temperature sensor I can no longer select the blank menu option under WIFI LED. I then, am forced, to pick another I/O pin.

I think there is a memory issue somewhere. The mac error I was getting is indicative of interrupts being disabled for too long to where the WDT kicks in and reset the chip. The Fatal exception (28) error smells like heap fragmentation of something. I have, so far, resisted diving into the stack dump to see if the offending command can be found. I am not familiar enough with the overall code yet.

The interesting thing is that if one was using the ESPEasy code to just monitor sensors these resets would occur without notice. The only thing that would indicate this has happened is the Uptime system variable would not ever get too big. Using a GPIO for controlling relays etc for lights means that a couple of times an evening you are left in the dark. One way of getting around this little annoyance is to always use a PCF8574 or other port expander. They don't seem to mind the reset and stay on until told to change.

Martinus

#5 Post by Martinus » 15 Mar 2016, 16:51

I must say that I did not encounter these mac issues anymore with R78, so it must have been fixed somewhere between R57 and R78. Although most of my units are sensors, they are stable. Also my Sonoff unit with relay is stable. This is unit 30. Just checked some uptimes on my units:
Uptime1.png
Uptime1.png (13.36 KiB) Viewed 5098 times

dduley
Normal user

#6 Post by dduley » 15 Mar 2016, 20:31

I have 2 of my units running R078 the rest are running R084. I downgraded the two units to see if R078 touted as the last "Stable" version would make a difference. On one unit it reset several time within the first 15 minutes. I use ESP8266-12E modules so I used the 4096 version of the code. I downgraded again to the 1024 version and they have gone about 44 hours so far with no errors or reset. I did turn off all of the temp sensor etc. now maybe I'll turn them back on and see if things get worse.

dduley
Normal user

#7 Post by dduley » 24 Mar 2016, 04:44

Update: All of my units are now running R091. No more resets. I believe that I was not running the latest ESPCore.