ESPEasy reboots when configuring P1 wifi gateway

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

ofstones
New user

ESPEasy reboots when configuring P1 wifi gateway

#1 Post by ofstones » 29 Jul 2018, 01:11

I am using the ESPEasy together with domoticz to read out my smart meter and my water meter with a sensor and counter.
My P1 meter is a DSMR 5.0.
I am using this setup for a couple of months and unfortunately the ESPeasy crashes and reboots regulary, somtimes within 1 minutes, sometimes after 1 hour.
I regularly update with the nighly builds in hope it gets fixed.
I decided to update to ESPEasy_mega-20180723 and completely go to factory settings and program everything again.
When in try to setup in the devices tab P1 WiFi Gateway, ESPEasy emediately crashes an reboots. It is not possible to configure it.
I tried downgrading to older builds, and i ended up with build ESPEasy_mega-20180421 until changing the setting worked again.

I also realized the crashing with the newer versions has something to do with the serial communication between the smart meter and the ESPEasy.
As soon as I unplug the RJ plug from the smart meter, ESPEasy will not reboot for days, but since unplugged no data also.
I cannot use the older stable versions, as they do not support DSMR 5.0.

Other people that can confirm teh problems, or have a solution?

wim16
Normal user

Re: ESPEasy reboots when configuring P1 wifi gateway

#2 Post by wim16 » 29 Jul 2018, 10:58

There is a remark about this in wiki of Ser2Net: https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/Ser2Net

ofstones
New user

#3 Post by ofstones » 29 Jul 2018, 23:29

Thanks Wim16,

So the reason the ESP8266 reboots seems to be a problem in the arduino core if working with long serial data.
Probably a buffer related thing, as i remeber to have seen a special version of ESPEasy, with longer buffer.
Unfotunately that one does not have support for DSMR 5.0.
Currently nothing to do about that issue.

Still there is the problem that the ESP8266 crashes as soon as i want to change settings of P1 WiFi Gateway, even with P1 meter disconnected.
That must have other reason as this worked with ESPEasy_mega-20180421, but with versions shortly after that till now not.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 30 Jul 2018, 22:48

ofstones wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 23:29 [...]
I added an issue (as a reminder for me) about this on Github: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/issues/1617
I am currently working on a way to make reading from the serial port non-blocking to improve timings for all plugins.
And I think this is the same problem, so that could be fixed too when I have finished implementing this new serial reader.

sakinit
New user

#5 Post by sakinit » 12 Sep 2018, 21:21

Try the Release mega-20180910 version. ESPEasy rebooted when configuring P1 wifi gateway due to a stack overflow. Due to big local variables for which space is reserved upon function entry, the Arduino stack (4096 bytes) overflows. Calls from the webserver (e.g. web form load and save) have an additional stack footprint of about 500 bytes compared to others like 10/sec. Reduced the additional stack footprint of the P1 wifi gateway to well under 400 bytes.