Does anyone use QNAP's QIoT together with ESPEasy?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

alabama
Normal user

Does anyone use QNAP's QIoT together with ESPEasy?

#1 Post by alabama » 03 Dec 2018, 09:59

I tried to do, but it seems not to work. Has anyone be successfull?

Drum
Normal user

Re: Does anyone use QNAP's QIoT together with ESPEasy?

#2 Post by Drum » 10 Dec 2018, 23:28

I did a little testing a couple of months ago but got really annoyed. Things kept disappearing. I had to do some weird things to get it to receive Mqtt (I only have sensors running these days) then the next day it all was gone. After it did this a couple of times I stopped. Will try later, I want to get a SQL db running on my qnap as well. Pretty nice little machines...

alabama
Normal user

#3 Post by alabama » 23 Dec 2018, 19:53

Okay, I'd tested some moths ago without success, now I tried again - without success. I can't install the ESPEasy-devices as a thing insid QIoT and it seems that I'm not able to understatnd the QNAP-documentation for this app.

dynamicdave
Normal user

#4 Post by dynamicdave » 23 Dec 2018, 22:03

Hi,
Some people on the Node-Red Discourse forum have used the Docker container to run Node-RED and MQTT on a QNAP.

https://discourse.nodered.org/t/anyone- ... ocker/4208

Unfortunately my version of QNAP NAS doesn't support Docker - hiss, boo.

Drum
Normal user

#5 Post by Drum » 27 Dec 2018, 12:17

dynamicdave wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 22:03 Hi,
Some people on the Node-Red Discourse forum have used the Docker container to run Node-RED and MQTT on a QNAP.

https://discourse.nodered.org/t/anyone- ... ocker/4208

Unfortunately my version of QNAP NAS doesn't support Docker - hiss, boo.
Fortunately both run very well on a Raspberry Pi 3 which is really inexpensive compared to a new NAS, and also uses a lot less electricity.
I also use older used laptops running Linux (it is amazing how much Linux can do on a computer which barely runs windows), inexpensive and capable server with built in battery backup.

alabama
Normal user

#6 Post by alabama » 25 Jan 2019, 11:25

Excuse, I was long time not here.
Thanks for your comment. I had the idea if QNAP will offer something called QIoT I will make a try with it. But after some time it was not possible for me and I deleted it from my NAS. Of cause I can use some other Docker container, but not now. There are too many unfulfilled dreams to start something new ;) On the other hand I don't want to make ma NAS to the central part of the smart home. I prefer to do this on a small single computer like my cubietruck or raspberry pi. But of cause, some "slaves" running there is absolutely ok, I think.
All in all: If I starte with Node-Red that shall be on another system, not the NAS.

Drum
Normal user

#7 Post by Drum » 25 Jan 2019, 14:19

While I do use a Raspberry Pi for testing, they are a bit limited. I find Linux on an old laptop makes a much better production environment.
However I also have plans for several Raspberry pi powered devices, Touch screen controllers, remote displays and network music players.