LCD - clear before write

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

chrille
Normal user

LCD - clear before write

#1 Post by chrille » 11 Jan 2016, 07:52

I have a module with R63 and a LCD2004. When I write something on the display, existing text is not cleared

For instance, upon startup the first line says "ESPeasy" - if I write "test" on line 1, the display will read "testasy", and if I have a temperature reading saying "T: 22.44 C" and the next temperature is only one digit, it will read "T: 22.2 CC"
I think we either need to clear a line before writing a new, or pad all lines with spaces to always write 16/20 characters (depending on display size)

And a feature request: I know we have %systime% - could we also have %uptime% (I understand the disabling NTP changes systime to uptime, but I would like to keep NTP enabled)

- Jan
Jan Chrillesen, Denmark

CHK_BLN
Normal user

Re: LCD - clear before write

#2 Post by CHK_BLN » 11 Jan 2016, 18:01

The same effect also applies to the OLED display.
In the version R59 the error was already present.

mkotek
Normal user

#3 Post by mkotek » 12 Jan 2016, 17:51

chrille wrote: And a feature request: I know we have %systime% - could we also have %uptime% (I understand the disabling NTP changes systime to uptime, but I would like to keep NTP enabled)
- Jan
I second the request, which is discussed in another thread: http://www.esp8266.nu/forum/viewtopic.p ... time#p3013
Michal 'Kotek', greetings from Poland. Zapraszam na mój blog o automatyce domowej po polsku: http://www.ukotka.com.

Martinus

#4 Post by Martinus » 13 Jan 2016, 10:01

chrille wrote:I think we either need to clear a line before writing a new, or pad all lines with spaces to always write 16/20 characters (depending on display size)

And a feature request: I know we have %systime% - could we also have %uptime% (I understand the disabling NTP changes systime to uptime, but I would like to keep NTP enabled)

- Jan
Next build will use padding to solve this (both LCD and OLED)
Next build will have %uptime% as system variable.

mkotek
Normal user

#5 Post by mkotek » 13 Jan 2016, 11:03

Martinus wrote:Next build will have %uptime% as system variable.
Great news. And is there any way of updating Domoticz with uptime as the value of a sensor?
Maybe using thie Event Action plugin we have discussed before, say one time during the day/night? This way, we would be able to say, if the module is stable or not?
Michal 'Kotek', greetings from Poland. Zapraszam na mój blog o automatyce domowej po polsku: http://www.ukotka.com.

chrille
Normal user

#6 Post by chrille » 13 Jan 2016, 11:17

mkotek wrote:Maybe using thie Event Action plugin we have discussed before, say one time during the day/night? This way, we would be able to say, if the module is stable or not?
This should probably be moved to a new thread, but it would surely be great to have virtual "sensors" to report stuff like

- uptime
- memory usage
- wifi RSSI
- mac address
- IP address
- software version

Especially memory usage and RSSI I find useful

- Jan
Jan Chrillesen, Denmark

mkotek
Normal user

#7 Post by mkotek » 13 Jan 2016, 11:31

chrille wrote:
mkotek wrote:Maybe using thie Event Action plugin we have discussed before, say one time during the day/night? This way, we would be able to say, if the module is stable or not?
This should probably be moved to a new thread, but it would surely be great to have virtual "sensors" to report stuff like

- uptime
- memory usage
- wifi RSSI
- mac address
- IP address
- software version

Especially memory usage and RSSI I find useful

- Jan
I do not know your usage scenario, but in my case, ESP is just passing information from a fixed location to controller. In such case, memory uisage and RSSI stays the same (withing boundaries), so it is not needed, but your mileage may vary and I guess, this is not an issue to add additional variables, once the whole framweork for publishing such parameters would be in place.

chrille
Normal user

#8 Post by chrille » 13 Jan 2016, 12:02

Martinus wrote:Next build will use padding to solve this (both LCD and OLED)
Next build will have %uptime% as system variable.
Hi Martinus,
Thank you very much for fixing/adding this

- Jan
Jan Chrillesen, Denmark