(SOLVED) Trying to understand how ESPEasy works with MQTT

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

garnold
Normal user

(SOLVED) Trying to understand how ESPEasy works with MQTT

#1 Post by garnold » 18 Jun 2019, 00:00

I'm trying to work out the workflow here on how ESPEasy does the MQTT thing ;-)
I'd like to send the temp reading from a DS18B20 to an MQTT broker. So in this case I'm looking to publish data from ESPEasy to my MQTT broker.
In order to do this I first have to setup a controller correct? I chose the OpenHAB MQTT based on what I read in the Wiki.
Next I need to setup the DS18B20 on the device tab.
After this is all done, do I still need to create a rule to actually publish the data? I ask this because at this point I'm not able to get any data published to my broker and before I start clicking buttons and checking check boxes I wanted to understand if a rule is required.
If a rule is required, could I please get a link to the format of the command? I did some research in the wiki and was not able to find how the command should be formatted.

Thank you
Last edited by garnold on 19 Jun 2019, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: Trying to understand how ESPEasy works with MQTT

#2 Post by ThomasB » 18 Jun 2019, 01:15

In order to do this I first have to setup a controller correct? I chose the OpenHAB MQTT based on what I read in the Wiki.
OpenHab MQTT works well with ESPEasy. But first test your OpenHAB MQTT controller and confirm it is working correctly.
Next I need to setup the DS18B20 on the device tab. After this is all done, do I still need to create a rule to actually publish the data?
If all you want to do is MQTT the temperature then enable the DS18B20 plugin's Send To Controller function. Whenever ther temperature changes the new value will be sent by MQTT; Unchanged temperature is not sent, but a rule can do it if that kind of behavior is needed.

For additional advice you should post screenshots of your MQTT and device settings.

- Thomas

garnold
Normal user

#3 Post by garnold » 18 Jun 2019, 03:36

Thank you for your reply. I just got this working after some messing around. I just wasn't sure where the rules part came into play so I appreciate the post so I could leave that out of the testing.

I now I have two devices publishing to my cloudmqtt broker. The system uptime and a button push :-)

ThomasB
Normal user

#4 Post by ThomasB » 18 Jun 2019, 03:54

You're welcome. It's good to know you got it working.

- Thomas