SOLVED Serial Server short outages

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

astrakid
New user

SOLVED Serial Server short outages

#1 Post by astrakid » 07 Mar 2021, 11:57

hi,
i am using esp easy on my esp8266 (wemos d1 mini) with an "serial lesekopf" (ir receiver for reading of my smart power meter, e.g. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3378332). from a server i collect the current value by accessing the serial server on esp easy.
all in all it works., but very often i have missing values over a timeframe of 10s (often) up to 90s (rare). the rest of the time it wokrs fine.

i thought i was able to tweak it by disabling serial logging and the serial port itself.

but at least it still fails.

is there any way to debug, what exactly is failing? there are the following points i identifeid as possible root cause:
1. my "lesekopf" is not adjusted perfectly on the emitting ir led on the power meter. i just can move it a bit, but i have to wait to see if it is better than before. and i still can't be sure it is the perfect position.
2. the sending ir of my "lesekopf" is disturbing or reflecting. tried to resolve this by putting a cover on that led
3. wemos d1 mini / esp easy is not receiving values caused by high load (don't think so, load is always about 30%)
4. wemos d1 mini / esp easy serial server is having trouble and not serving.

any way to narrow it down by logs, or any hints?

regards,
andre
Last edited by astrakid on 07 Mar 2021, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Serial Server short outages

#2 Post by TD-er » 07 Mar 2021, 12:54

Do you have "Periodical send Gratuitous ARP" enabled (Tools -> Advanced)
If not, please enable this.
Also "CPU Eco mode" may cause WiFi issues when enabled, so better uncheck that one if you're seeing issues like these.

Another trick to narrow down the possible causes is to continuously sending a ping (from whatever node in your network) to the ESP.

astrakid
New user

#3 Post by astrakid » 07 Mar 2021, 13:11

thanks, gratuitoius arp is disabled, but i don't have network timeouts. a ping is running fine all the time with a latency below 30ms which is from my pov quite ok for a wlan connection.
cpu eco mode was turned off, i turned it on just to check if it will change anything. but it didn't turned it off again.

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 07 Mar 2021, 15:39

If you had a ping running, which did receive all replies without any large outliers, then I guess this isn't an ARP issue.

Do you use a build which has the timing stats included? ("testing" and "dev" builds have it disabled to make it all fit)
If so, then maybe you can check the timing stats page right after you're missing values to see if something was stalling the ESP.
DNS lookup are known to sometimes block execution for quite some time without triggering WDT reboots.

So if there is some entry on the stats page which was blocking for a long time, you may have some new pointers to continue the investigation.

N.B. every reload of the timing stats page does clear the recorded statistics.

astrakid
New user

#5 Post by astrakid » 07 Mar 2021, 16:34

timingstats are available, but i am not able to see what might cause an issue.
but i think it is nevertheless related to wifi.
the ping is quite ok, but nevertheless i observed that when my children are near the esp8266, the issue got worse...
so i put an access point beside the esp8266 and it seems to be absolutely stable... will keep an eye on it but i think it seems to be solved.
thanks for your support!
regrds,
andre

TD-er
Core team member

#6 Post by TD-er » 07 Mar 2021, 16:36

So if the weather improves the stability of ESPEasy will improve too, good to know ;)