Distance sensors Help needed

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

belgo
Normal user

Distance sensors Help needed

#1 Post by belgo » 14 Mar 2021, 20:00

Hi to all ,

i 'am currently work on a tank level sensor ( Wemos + espeasy + domoticz )

i'll try some sensors and i like the precision of VL53L0/1X .

il have some good result with VL53L0X , they work but limites to 2 meters and i need more ( about 3 meters )

il bought then some VL53L1X to test but dont work with espeasy ( not recognized )

i'll try a test with sparkfun library and her examples and the sensor is working well

someone has the same problem and have compiled a version of espeasy with VL53L1X fully supported ?

thanks for your help ( sorry for my bad english )

belgo

Ath
Normal user

Re: Distance sensors Help needed

#2 Post by Ath » 14 Mar 2021, 20:11

I made a test-build that allows the VL53L1X sensor on the VL53L0X plugin in this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6404#p49395
Don't know if it actually works, as I don't own that sensor, so couldn't test myself. But it will probably require a new plugin that should then use the Sparkfun library.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

belgo
Normal user

#3 Post by belgo » 15 Mar 2021, 09:16

Thanks Ath for your answer

i saw your previous post with the .bin file but it does not work for me with VL53L1X :-(

belgo

Doryphore
Normal user

#4 Post by Doryphore » 30 Mar 2021, 20:25

Hello,

I am in the same case, impossible to make the VL53l1X work with espeasy, I tried several firmware and several tutorials, in vain

Ath
Normal user

#5 Post by Ath » 05 Apr 2021, 17:19

belgo wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 09:16 i saw your previous post with the .bin file but it does not work for me with VL53L1X :-(
I've made a PR (pull request) on github for a new plugin for VL53L1X, but haven't included that in any available build yet. I'll post an ESP8266 4M1M .bin file in the other thread.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

belgo
Normal user

#6 Post by belgo » 28 Apr 2021, 10:58

thanks ATH ,

do you have released the .bin file with the support of the VL53L1X ?

thanks

belgo

Ath
Normal user

#7 Post by Ath » 28 Apr 2021, 12:24

The trouble is that all testing builds seem to fail compilation because of the .bin size being too large. That is also the reason I didn't include it in a set, so it is not available in any of the standard 'nightly' builds, except for the ESP32 MAX build (that has all plugins available, and working on ESP32), included.

For now, if you need it it will have to be enabled via a local Custom build, which requires some development experience, like creating a fork (or at lease clone to local system) on Github, setting up a development environment, modifying the setup to include the plugin and compiling the .bin file.

I have put in another PR ;) to split the testing builds to have an A, B, C and D configuration, where a base set of testing plugins is always included, and per set a selection of the remaining plugins. Both of the VL53LnX sensors are in testing set B.
A quick way to obtain that would be to go to the PR link in Github, scroll down to the end of the page where the "All checks have passed" section is, click on one of the Details links, find the Artifacts dropdown on the right (it shows a 1 for the number of available downloads), and download the binaries.zip file (~500 MB!), where you should be able to find a flavor of a test_B .bin file (all files are per build bundled in a zip file) for your hardware.
/Ton (PayPal.me)