[SOLVED] Admin password not accepted, no response to serial commands

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

noah
New user

[SOLVED] Admin password not accepted, no response to serial commands

#1 Post by noah » 16 Mar 2021, 12:30

Hi,

I've just flashed the latest release from Github to my Wemos D1 Mini. All worked well, I connected to the access point, configured my network, accessed it through there, set a device name.
Now I've run into a problem. I set the admin password in the web interface, but cannot connect with the exact password I entered (I generated one with Lastpass and immediately saved it).
I have found these other forum threads:
viewtopic.php?t=6607
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6607&p=36267#p36267
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7283&p=41257#p41257
viewtopic.php?t=591

So I tried what was suggested: rebooting with RX and TX connected, and sending "reset" or "password,newpass" through the serial monitor.
Unfortunately none of this seems to work.
In the Serial Monitor of the Arduino IDE I'm receiving logs about the device trying to connect to my WiFi network. But it doesn't respond anything when I send "reset" or "password" or "reboot" or anything else (tried with and without capitalization). I read that re-flashing would not wipe the config, so I don't know what to try next.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Last edited by noah on 16 Mar 2021, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Admin password not accepted, no response to serial commands

#2 Post by TD-er » 16 Mar 2021, 13:15

There are blank files included in the zip of the nightly build.
If you write those, everything is wiped for sure.

And for password issues, maybe also try another browser? Safari for example is known to "act strange".

noah
New user

#3 Post by noah » 16 Mar 2021, 16:11

I've written the blank file and then the correct firmware again, and now (of course) it works again!

I couldn't just leave it at that, though, so I tried to reproduce the issue, and it turns out that it was a PEBKAC after all (...as usual :D ); the password field in settings has a maximum length of 25, and I didn't notice this when I pasted a 30 character password manager-generated password in there. So I tried logging in with the 30 character one, while only the first 25 characters were saved.
And sending commands over serial was not working because of the shield connected to my device. (Something with the RX/TX pins I guess. It works just fine when I disconnect the thing. Should've tried that earlier!)

All is good now. Thanks!!

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 16 Mar 2021, 16:18

So I guess we should all move to "standing desks" to avoid future PEBKAC issues :)