ESPEasy Build Variations: What do the names mean?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

ThomasB
Normal user

ESPEasy Build Variations: What do the names mean?

#1 Post by ThomasB » 08 Oct 2021, 05:47

There are a lot of interesting ESPEasy bins in each release. Many of the names are self explanatory. But then there's some mystery names that need further explanation. For example:
test_A_alt_wifi
test_A_beta
test_B_alt_wifi
test_B_beta
test_C_alt_wifi
test_C_beta
and so on. This isn't a complete list, just a sample of releases that make me wonder what they do.

I guess what I am asking, exactly how does each bin differ from the others? For example, when would a user want to use an alt_wifi branch? Or when would a "test" branch user flash with test_A versus test_B, or the other test_x bins?

I tried to learn what they are by looking at the platformio files, but didn't achieve a satisfactory level of joy. If there is a specific doc that describes the difference in the build variations then that would be fantastic to have; Just need a push in the right direction.

- Thomas

Ath
Normal user

Re: ESPEasy Build Variations: What do the names mean?

#2 Post by Ath » 08 Oct 2021, 08:55

I'd say it's all in the readme.md, but I'm biassed, as I wrote that part (extended what was already there) :lol:

This chapter of the readme does try to explain exactly those differences, though not why you would choose either an alt_wifi or beta build.
And there's the list of plugins in RTD that tries to clarify what build/set a plugin is available in. (Though the names do not exactly match with the name used in the builds, like testing -> test)
/Ton (PayPal.me)

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: ESPEasy Build Variations: What do the names mean?

#3 Post by ThomasB » 08 Oct 2021, 17:35

And there's the list of plugins in RTD that tries to clarify what build/set a plugin is available in.
Thank you! That's the list I needed. It explains what's in each testing bin.

I forgot about that page, even though I've contributed edits to it in the past. Glad to see it is being maintained (thank you for your service).

- Thomas