Hallo! from Germany

Moderators: rtenklooster, Voyager, BertB, Stuntteam

stefan_z
New user

Hallo! from Germany

#1 Post by stefan_z » 04 Dec 2018, 13:59

Hey everyone.
I'm Stefan, Germany based Designer.

First Computer: Atari 520 ST/M, go figure… :-)
I have been tinkering with µC for about 15 years now - you know, when your first AVR ISP was either €120,– or a rats' nest of wires on the LPT of your PC.
Jumped on the Arduino train at some point and recently switched over to PlatformIO since the Arduino IDE is just terrible and VSC turns out to be that single piece of software M$ got at least half right.

This project (ESPEasy) interests me because it tries to make things simple - not consumer-grade-stoopid, but at least it gives a stable framework to rapidly develop basic use-cases - which most µC projects are anyway.

My programming skills are somewhat "limited" - I have written plenty of IC drivers and other logic stuff in AVR Bascom Basic back in the pre-Arduino-days, I can decipher protocols, writing functional C++ code is not a problem. But implementing a C++ lib with all those layers of crazy syntax sure is not my cup of tea (yet).

"Electronic skills": I know my way around most digital ICs and protocols on an embedded level, I understand the analog domain, but hardly ever bother with it :-)

Further skills include:
"Things designers do": Photoshop, InDesign, Fonts, Colors, Print-Production, etc., sitting in hourlong bullshit-bingo meetings, wishing I could write some code instead.
"Things web designers do": HTML, JS, CSS, PHP, Databases, recently WebGL and all sorts 'exotic' of stuff like WebWorkers, Events, Audio-/Video-Frameworks, JSON, you name it.
"Things bored designers do": eCAD (Altium), CAD/CAM (SolidWorks), 3D rendering (C4D) and obviously 3D printing these days.

So long story short: How can I help? :roll:
I could picture myself making a new web front end for the ESPEasy, maybe themed and with some nice sensor- and input-visuals.
Looking at the source it seems that web interface right now is just a giant WebServer.ino containing a ton of calls for generating said interface "by hand".
If there are other people working on a template-system for the web-frontend, please forgive me (or PM me me) - still reading into ESPEasy.
Designing some template-system to make deploying front-ends more easy can't hurt, can it? Something that takes that task out of C++ and into a WYSIWYG environment - be it some custom editor or just a Script to pack a .html page into a C++ template…

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: Hallo! from Germany

#2 Post by grovkillen » 04 Dec 2018, 15:28

Hello and welcome! :)

Thanks for offering help and regarding the webserver you should have a look in this discussion here: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/issues/2102

We are well underway with a new front end but want to start shuffling the code for that after the release of a stable. So please wait for that to be in place before doing something on your own :)
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

stefan_z
New user

Re: Hallo! from Germany

#3 Post by stefan_z » 04 Dec 2018, 16:06

Thanks for the reply, I thought I might not be the first with that idea :-)
Looking here https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/issues/1544 I am wondering if I can help?