RFLink Latest source ?

Information and news about RFLink development and releases

Moderators: Voyager, BertB, rtenklooster, Stuntteam

sorg
Normal user

RFLink Latest source ?

#1 Post by sorg » 23 Apr 2017, 13:54

Hello there.

I understand that the binaries distributed on the website are compiled for atmega 2560.

I would like tu use my atmega1280.

Where can i find the up-to-date sources ? The source available on the website are more than one year old (R33 or so).

Thank you in advance,

sorg

sorg
Normal user

Re: RFLink Latest source ?

#2 Post by sorg » 24 Apr 2017, 11:56

So, is the source code a taboo subject ?
or at least could someone from the dev team compile a version for mega 1280 for me ?

phermansson
Normal user

#3 Post by phermansson » 24 Apr 2017, 20:38

I wonder the same thing?

Stuntteam
Site Beheer

#4 Post by Stuntteam » 25 Apr 2017, 00:02

The Atmega 1280 is not supported.
The code will not fit on a 1280.
Also for the 5 euro's that a 2560 costs it is also not worth the trouble to leave things out and make multiple versions.
The sources are due to some parts being under NDA currently not fully public.
-=# RFLink Gateway Development Team #=-
Introduction: http://www.nemcon.nl/blog2/
Generic Support forum: http://www.esp8266.nu/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

reinhold
Normal user

#5 Post by reinhold » 21 Jun 2017, 17:34

@Stuntteam: I wonder which parts of the rflink are covered by an NDA? Just some plugins to handle proprietary protocols like security systems? Or some central pieces handling e.g. the SPI interface. Could you make all other code available and simply leave out the parts that are covered by an NDA? AFAICS, there is no code available for a version that implements support for nrf24l01 and the CC2500 over SPI. I.e. it is currently NOT possible to develop plugins for 2.4GHz devices!

@sorg: I took the latest available version and compiled it for my arduino nano. Of course, I had to disable most of the plugins due to memory constraints of the nano, but I simply wanted a tiny receiver for several temperature/humidity sensors to interface with OpenHAB (size of the device and the cost of custom-made PCBs for breakout boards are good arguments to choose smaller arduinos than the mega). Works just fine, you'll have to modify the pin(s) for the receiver and/or transmitter modules, though.

JanWolf
Normal user

#6 Post by JanWolf » 30 Oct 2017, 09:21

I'm new to this forum and agree with the questions of opensource the latest development tree. I understand the NDA problem and I think that reinhold proposition is a way to make much people contribute.
Sourcecode without the NDA parts on githuib will be a good way. I'm coming to RFLink as it could be the gateway which missed me. But it should handle for me several frequencies on one hardware. So why not fully opensource to let us try to port on platform such as STM32 ?

By the way thank you for your work
Jan

brjhaverkamp
Normal user

#7 Post by brjhaverkamp » 30 Nov 2018, 08:53

Hi all,

Possibly I' m raking up a sensitive subject again, after a year.
But indeed, I plus-one the possibility to at least publish the core (assuming it is not encumbered by NDA).
This would allow more hands to work in parallel.
Don't get me wrong, am sure you are doing a lot of hard work behind the scenes, but the release rate of new firmware version has dropped the past year.
And there is only so much time you can spend on development.

It might look like an overhead initially but once a group of capable volunteers has been grown and familiarized themselves with the code, it would allow more people to contribute and rflink to become more mature more quickly.
And this is after all how e.g. the Linux Kernel have become successful.

Regards,

Bert

thowi
Normal user

#8 Post by thowi » 07 Dec 2018, 12:08

+1 to releasing the non-NDA part on e.g. Github.
That would be good for the users (who can improve the code) and good for the authors as well (as users can fix bugs for you etc).
I don't know what's under NDA, but maybe some users don't even need those parts depending on the devices that they use.