Motor / Stepper motor

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

timbiker
Normal user

Motor / Stepper motor

#1 Post by timbiker » 09 Nov 2017, 11:44

Hi guys,

Sorry for maybe such a stupid question but I am a little bit confused. I read many many things and I cannot figure the answer out.

What would be the easiest way to manage a stepper motor (such as the famous Nema 17) with EspEasy and a Wemos D1 mini.

I mean in terms of software and also the wiring part.

I did many things with Espeasy but I am lost with this question

Many many thanks

Tim

Domosapiens
Normal user

Re: Motor / Stepper motor

#2 Post by Domosapiens » 09 Nov 2017, 12:09

30+ ESP units for production and test. Ranging from control of heating equipment, flow sensing, floor temp sensing, energy calculation, floor thermostat, water usage, to an interactive "fun box" for my grandson. Mainly Wemos D1.

timbiker
Normal user

#3 Post by timbiker » 09 Nov 2017, 15:11

Of course Domosapiens, I saw your several posts regarding stepper motor.

So, I should be more precise in my question.

Well, I suppose that the A4988 stepper motor driver module is supported by espeasy with the help of the plugin made by Majklovec. (also with the help of the arduino & AccelStepper libraries...)

The point is that I am quite surprised that such a plugin was not directly added to the main Espeasy. (did not see this mentioned anywhere)

After that, the plugin given by Majklovec "Plugin 106" is not registered in the playground so I supposed that it was not written to fit to Espeasy at first. So it needs modification.

Anyway, my question was Is there any easy way to manage a stepper motor with a Wemos and Espeasy ? Assuming the point that I am clearly not skilled in programmation... ;)

Otherwise, could you confirm me the below points please ? To manage a Nema 17 motor :

- I need A4988 stepper motor driver module
- I need to modify and compile the plugin 106 + arduino library + AccelStepper library
- Correctly wire everything
- Find a way to send right command to drive the motor

Is that correct ?

Domosapiens
Normal user

#4 Post by Domosapiens » 10 Nov 2017, 12:20

Otherwise, could you confirm me the below points please ? To manage a Nema 17 motor :

- I need A4988 stepper motor driver module
- I need to modify and compile the plugin 106 + arduino library + AccelStepper library
- Correctly wire everything
- Find a way to send right command to drive the motor

Is that correct ?
Yep,
AccelStepper library is already included

No need for this: (it is already in the recent source)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2356&hilit=stepper#p11507

For compilation, see the wiki: https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/inde ... evelopment
30+ ESP units for production and test. Ranging from control of heating equipment, flow sensing, floor temp sensing, energy calculation, floor thermostat, water usage, to an interactive "fun box" for my grandson. Mainly Wemos D1.

grovkillen
Core team member

#5 Post by grovkillen » 10 Nov 2017, 12:47

timbiker wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 15:11 The point is that I am quite surprised that such a plugin was not directly added to the main Espeasy.
This is up to the developer, if he/she finds a playground plugin to be fit for the main branch he/she should file for an pull request. The main developers do (only) take care of the over all functionality of the core of the firmware. It would be close to impossible to let these lone souls take care of the ever growing number of plugins. So that is why it's not in the main/official FW release. Ask the developer to move it if you find it mature enough. 8-)
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

timbiker
Normal user

#6 Post by timbiker » 11 Nov 2017, 10:47

Thanks Domosapiens, I'll try that.

I also saw your project "Stepper support request; for curtain automation <€30" that is a really good project. Thanks for your help

@Grovkillen : Yes you are right. But for any reason I though that stepper motor management was a very common project... It seems that it is not the case ;)

EDsteve
Normal user

#7 Post by EDsteve » 24 Jun 2018, 22:05

@timbiker
did you get it running?

timbiker
Normal user

#8 Post by timbiker » 12 Jul 2018, 14:07

EDsteve wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 22:05 @timbiker
did you get it running?
Not yet, I am really on late on my projects...

I think that I will go on on it within few weeks !

xinagkou321
New user

#9 Post by xinagkou321 » 20 Dec 2019, 09:06

have you solved the problem?