New ESP gadget

Moderators: Voyager, BertB, rtenklooster, Stuntteam, grovkillen, TD-er

Message
Author
User avatar
grovkillen
Normal user
Posts: 3043
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#301 Post by grovkillen » 22 Dec 2017, 14:33

papperone wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 13:59
Shardan wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 12:56
USD 3.71 for a copy with questionable content and quality vs USD 4.85 for the genuine Sonoff basic (actual price from the Itead.cc website https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html )

Guys, really..... :roll:

Have a Merry Christmas everyone

Shardan
+1 and Merry Christmas as well :mrgreen:
+1 :oops: :mrgreen:
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

manjh
Normal user
Posts: 426
Joined: 08 Feb 2016, 11:22

Re: New ESP gadget

#302 Post by manjh » 22 Dec 2017, 15:14

Shardan wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 12:56
USD 3.71 for a copy with questionable content and quality vs USD 4.85 for the genuine Sonoff basic (actual price from the Itead.cc website https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html )

Guys, really..... :roll:

Have a Merry Christmas everyone

Shardan
no-brainer.

Merry x-mas to all!

Shardan
Normal user
Posts: 1081
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 23:27
Location: Bielefeld / Germany

Re: New ESP gadget

#303 Post by Shardan » 22 Dec 2017, 18:13

Always remember Ruskin's rule:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

(John Ruskin)
Regards
Shardan

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#304 Post by enesbcs » 22 Dec 2017, 18:31

Shardan wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 12:56
USD 3.71 for a copy with questionable content and quality vs USD 4.85 for the genuine Sonoff basic (actual price from the Itead.cc website https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html )
Guys, really..... :roll:
Have a Merry Christmas everyone
I have already a Sonoff S20 and a Sonoff Dual, and honestly i do not need either the genuine Basic, neither the clone, there are no place of use currently to me. It will go straight to the bottom of a shelf, after i tested it, i am only curious. ;) I need to know what it is made of.
Merry Christmas! :)

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#305 Post by enesbcs » 01 Feb 2018, 19:31

Shardan wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 12:56
USD 3.71 for a copy with questionable content and quality vs USD 4.85 for the genuine Sonoff basic (actual price from the Itead.cc website https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html )
You mean 3.71$ + Free international shipping vs 4.85$+25$ shipping? Just joking, i know that on ebay original Sonoff basic can be found for 6$ with FREE SHIPPING.. but as i heared a lot of ebay seller sends replacement Powstro models nowadays. :)

In the meantime i received this "SmartHome" branded item, and when i tear it apart i see that it contains exactly the same hardware as the Powstro Basic. :) ESP8266-S3 flashed by me immediately, and i played some time.

Shardan
Normal user
Posts: 1081
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 23:27
Location: Bielefeld / Germany

Re: New ESP gadget

#306 Post by Shardan » 02 Feb 2018, 10:29

... with thin copper tracks and other flaws...
Regards
Shardan

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#307 Post by enesbcs » 03 Feb 2018, 22:28

manjh wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 19:02
enesbcs wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 18:33
manjh wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 18:26
As far as I can see it is 8266 based!
See this one at Banggood:
https://www.banggood.com/search/esp-01s ... odule.html
I think that would take this unit:
https://www.banggood.com/Upgraded-Versi ... rehouse=CN
So the ebay offer is not bad at all!
The pictures at banggood are better.. I do not see other MCU, the relay perhaps directly changed by GPIO0 of the ESP-01?
It looks like a very simple device, so I assume you are right.... anyway, the risk is low (only a few Euro's).
In the meantime this device arrived, sadly it's ESP-01S based on PUYA, but can be flashed with R147. The relay controlled by GPIO0 directly. GPIO2 did not do anything except lightning the ESP-01S blue LED.

manjh
Normal user
Posts: 426
Joined: 08 Feb 2016, 11:22

Re: New ESP gadget

#308 Post by manjh » 26 Feb 2018, 17:28

enesbcs wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 22:28
In the meantime this device arrived, sadly it's ESP-01S based on PUYA, but can be flashed with R147. The relay controlled by GPIO0 directly. GPIO2 did not do anything except lightning the ESP-01S blue LED.
How did you flash it? I connected the ftdi in the usual manner, crossing tx and rx.
Connected GPIO0 to gnd.
Plugged in and found COM3.
Tried to load R147 4096 using the esptool, but it will not load. (also tried 1024)
What am I missing?

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#309 Post by enesbcs » 26 Feb 2018, 17:41

manjh wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 17:28
How did you flash it? I connected the ftdi in the usual manner, crossing tx and rx.
Connected GPIO0 to gnd.
Plugged in and found COM3.
Tried to load R147 4096 using the esptool, but it will not load. (also tried 1024)
What am I missing?
I connected it with this way:
Image
Than flashed with R147 1Mb/64k SPIFFS version at DOUT mode with the new Nodemcu PyFlasher application at ttyUSB0 (Linux).

manjh
Normal user
Posts: 426
Joined: 08 Feb 2016, 11:22

Re: New ESP gadget

#310 Post by manjh » 27 Feb 2018, 12:04

enesbcs wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 17:41
manjh wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 17:28
How did you flash it? I connected the ftdi in the usual manner, crossing tx and rx.
Connected GPIO0 to gnd.
Plugged in and found COM3.
Tried to load R147 4096 using the esptool, but it will not load. (also tried 1024)
What am I missing?
I connected it with this way:
Image
Than flashed with R147 1Mb/64k SPIFFS version at DOUT mode with the new Nodemcu PyFlasher application at ttyUSB0 (Linux).
I carefully reconnected following your diagram and ran Py Flasher in DOUT mode, loading R147 1024.
It starts with "Connecting....._____....." but after a while simply stops. No error message, nothing.
Also noticed that the blue LED does not blink, as it usually does on an ESP module during load.

After this I disconnected the wiring and started the unit on 3.3V and Gnd alone, and see the FaryLink AP showing up on Wifi. Looks like nothing was loaded...
Any ideas?

User avatar
grovkillen
Normal user
Posts: 3043
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 12:56
Location: Hudiksvall, Sweden
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#311 Post by grovkillen » 27 Feb 2018, 12:09

Probably never got booted into flash mode.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

manjh
Normal user
Posts: 426
Joined: 08 Feb 2016, 11:22

Re: New ESP gadget

#312 Post by manjh » 27 Feb 2018, 12:26

grovkillen wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 12:09
Probably never got booted into flash mode.
I thought that as well. So I double-checked all connections.
Also, when I start the unit without GPIO0 connected to ground, I can see the blue LED flash twice quickly. When I start the unit with GPIO0 low, it only blinks once. So there definitely is a difference...

User avatar
toffel969
Normal user
Posts: 469
Joined: 03 Jan 2017, 10:58
Location: Germany

Re: New ESP gadget

#313 Post by toffel969 » 27 Feb 2018, 13:15

Shardan wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 18:13
Always remember Ruskin's rule:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

(John Ruskin)
:-)

The long version of the good old German saying "Wer billig kauft, kauft zwei mal", --> If you buy cheap, you buy twice. I concur
Domoticz on Raspi 2 -- 14 ESP units (hacked Sonoff,NodeMCUs, Wemos, self-built units) running with RC140- Mega 2.0.0 dev8

manjh
Normal user
Posts: 426
Joined: 08 Feb 2016, 11:22

Re: New ESP gadget

#314 Post by manjh » 27 Feb 2018, 13:26

toffel969 wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 13:15
Shardan wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 18:13
Always remember Ruskin's rule:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

(John Ruskin)
:-)

The long version of the good old German saying "Wer billig kauft, kauft zwei mal", --> If you buy cheap, you buy twice. I concur
You run into a tricky area considering the definition of the word "cheap".
Expensive: a 25000 Euro car that depreciates 40% in the first year.
Cheap: a 35000 Euro car that depreciates 20% in the first year.
I've seen examples of both. My point: price alone does not determine if a product is cheap or expensive.
Especially with the quickly dropping prices of Chinese hardware, it makes sense to keep an eye on new items and check them out.

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#315 Post by enesbcs » 02 Mar 2018, 23:08

I've found a very nice looking 27x19x18mm sized ESP8266 module with one relay and one touch button. :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-WIFI-I ... 1932199168
I currently using Sonoff Touch and Sonoff T1 for Lighting Control, so i do not see any use case for me, but still it is a very compact unit. Maybe for a smart smart 230V extension cable.. :)
But as i see the RX and TX is near the crystal and not an easy task to solder it.

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#316 Post by enesbcs » 05 May 2018, 17:08

I found a new device, looks like a redesigned Sonoff S20..
"WAZA Wifi Smart EU Plug Power Socket"
Anyone has it? I wonder if it could be flashed?
Image

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#317 Post by enesbcs » 30 May 2018, 23:55

enesbcs wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 23:08
I've found a very nice looking 27x19x18mm sized ESP8266 module with one relay and one touch button. :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP8266-WIFI-I ... 1932199168
By the way it's a Heltec Touch Relay:
https://github.com/xoseperez/espurna/wi ... ouch-Relay

danmero
Normal user
Posts: 64
Joined: 11 May 2017, 01:19

Re: New ESP gadget

#318 Post by danmero » 31 May 2018, 04:20

I just order this one, look interesting?


Image

Regards,

User avatar
enesbcs
Normal user
Posts: 368
Joined: 18 Jun 2017, 11:02
Location: Békéscsaba, Hungary
Contact:

Re: New ESP gadget

#319 Post by enesbcs » 11 Jan 2019, 09:58

As i see this wifi door sensor is ESP based:
Image
Anyone tested it already?
https://www.gearbest.com/smart-home-con ... id=1433363

the cosmic gate
Normal user
Posts: 102
Joined: 14 Nov 2015, 20:17

Re: New ESP gadget

#320 Post by the cosmic gate » 13 Apr 2019, 10:32

danmero wrote:
31 May 2018, 04:20
I just order this one, look interesting?


Image

Regards,
Interesting ! Is this ESP8266 based ?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests