Wall switch with mechanical button?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

spachal
Normal user

Wall switch with mechanical button?

#1 Post by spachal » 08 Jan 2019, 00:08

Hallo, I'm looking for some wall switch, flashable with easpeasy, with 'mechanical button', same as a common wall switch.

So you know about any switch with these attributes?
- espeasy inside, or flashable, of course :]
- mechanical button, one click on, on click off
- EU size, suitable as replacement of current switches (rounded boxes in walls, all three cables available)
- controlled directly by GPIO (12) and also with MQTT (broker in LAN + node-red)
- load at least 1A/300W
- some simple design a decent backlit, if possible
- price max. $20 incl. shipping (EU)

I was trying to find any switch at 'common places' - AE, eBay, gearbest etc. but without any success ..
At 'the worst scenario' I'll purchase some Sonoff T1/Touch, but I'd like to have switches the most similar 'dumb' ones.

Any tip? Thanks for info, have a great day! :]
Please excuse my English, thanks!

DeNB3rt
Normal user

Re: Wall switch with mechanical button?

#2 Post by DeNB3rt » 08 Jan 2019, 08:47

why not building one yourself? If you take a normal switch (or push button) from whatever dealer?
In whatever style/colour.
Give it a nodeMCU and some wires, ready ;)
Located in Belgium, Bruges. Working on a full DIY domoticz setup with ESPEasy.

Tecumseh
Normal user

#3 Post by Tecumseh » 08 Jan 2019, 10:07

I just ordered a couple of Shelly devices, they should fit behind a normal switch. They can be flashed with ESP-Easy. This way your normal mechanical switch remains.

spachal
Normal user

#4 Post by spachal » 08 Jan 2019, 13:32

Hi, thx for info! :]

>DeNB3rt: there is problem with wall box depth and relay. Maybe it's resolvable, but I'd prefer some 'certified' solution with optocoupler etc. ..

>Tecumseh: same problem, depth of wall boxes is appr. 35mm, including mechanical switch. I want to replace multiple switches, I don't want to re-drill all there boxes. I'll keep it as a backup plan, thanks :]

DeNB3rt
Normal user

#5 Post by DeNB3rt » 08 Jan 2019, 14:31

spachal wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 13:32 Hi, thx for info! :]

>DeNB3rt: there is problem with wall box depth and relay. Maybe it's resolvable, but I'd prefer some 'certified' solution with optocoupler etc. ..

>Tecumseh: same problem, depth of wall boxes is appr. 35mm, including mechanical switch. I want to replace multiple switches, I don't want to re-drill all there boxes. I'll keep it as a backup plan, thanks :]

yeah, but you don't have to use opto coupler if you use your wall switch as gpio input. (Power the switch from the nodeMCU VCC).
I did it in our previous house, incomming 220V AC voltage > converter to 5VDC to nodeMCU and connected directly to the wall switch.
Indeed space is an issue, but I had the space of 2 switches.
Located in Belgium, Bruges. Working on a full DIY domoticz setup with ESPEasy.

spachal
Normal user

#6 Post by spachal » 08 Jan 2019, 23:41

Thanks again, but I really don't want to solve how to fit board, relay, power source 5V and common wall switch to small space like this one :) .. I'm looking for 'ready product', really :]

Wiki
Normal user

#7 Post by Wiki » 09 Jan 2019, 01:04

Hi,

if you want to stay mechanical from my knowledge (and I don't konw everything) you have to go with somewhat like a shelly device - and in this case I would think, you are playing on the wrong side of IoT.

But if you could imagine to go to something like touch, something like this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3721&p=33029&hilit= ... tch#p33029 may meet your needs.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ man woman
No manual entry for woman
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

kimot
Normal user

#8 Post by kimot » 10 Jan 2019, 15:08

spachal wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 13:32 Hi, thx for info! :]

Shelly is only 17 mm high.
What you want more ?!?

Look at this normal wall switch ( ABB ):

http://www.e-viaco.cz/tlacitko-tango-bezove-dvojite/

17 + 17 = 34

So perfectly fit your box

spachal
Normal user

#11 Post by spachal » 27 Jan 2019, 12:25

>Wiki: thanks, I know this project, but it's IMHO the same product as Sonoff T1, without 'mechanical switch feedback' ..

>kimot: yes, I know that it COULD fit .. if there will be some spare space for two wago conncetors. That's why I'd like to buy "complete solution', as descibed in my 1st post. But it's an option, for sure.

>ryanjennings: that's great! If only I can buy this switch in EU version, not only US. Maybe later it will be available ..

kimot
Normal user

#12 Post by kimot » 27 Jan 2019, 22:50

Shelly has got significantly smaller diameter than in wall box.
I think you can put two WAGOs between the wall of the box and the Shelly.
Plus you can use the Shelly connector and the switch contacts to divide the wires.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 8406 times
shelly 1 - ad.jpg
shelly 1 - ad.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 8406 times