Coffee Machine with ESPEasy

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

pw444
Normal user

Coffee Machine with ESPEasy

#1 Post by pw444 » 23 Apr 2019, 15:50

Hi all,

after digging and reading a lot, and having the choices of Tasmota, Espurna and ESPEasy, i decided for ESPEasy.

As an absolute beginner, i will begin with making my coffee machine manageable.

So, the device have three push buttons (1 for 1 to 6 cups, 1 for 7 to 12 cups and 1 for off),

When i push either 1 or 2, led lits until it finnish or OFF is pushed, when led get off.

What i plan:
3 GPIO (output) from ESP8266 to the push buttons (easy, either via voltage divider or opto coupler) and 1 GPIO hooked from the LED (input).

So, i will need to write the rules in order that the outputs for the push buttons (1 and 2) tells me, initially by web access that the machine in on and to notify me when led if off (when coffee is ready).

Later i will habe it also have it controlled by Home Assistant or Openhab (i'm still digging to decide which one, as i do not plan to have it on a cloud server, by a private server at home).

Is there any example in how to get it done (similar)?

All the help and hints are very welcome by this newbee.

Thx in advance!

Paul

pw444
Normal user

Re: Coffee Machine with ESPEasy

#3 Post by pw444 » 24 Apr 2019, 12:39

Thank you,

i took a look and those are more sofisticated machines than mine :lol:

So, i defined gpio 12 and gpio 13 output low and defined gpio 14 as input.

When to make coffee, gpio 12 or 13 depending on selection will get high, triggering the physical push button and led on coffee machine will light on, and so gpio 14 will get high.

So, i need to create two virtual switches in devices and have the rule for each one, which will notify the start of the task and also a rule for the gpio 14, also a virtual switch, as OFF (low) and when HIGH (led on) waits for it to get off (LOW) notifying the end of the task.

As i understand, and please correct me if i'm wrong, the rules are like the routines called inside the loop in an arduino sketch.

TIA

Stanley
New user

#4 Post by Stanley » 17 Sep 2019, 11:59

Can i buy that machine from amazon also?

Stanley
New user

#5 Post by Stanley » 05 Oct 2019, 13:48

No reply from anyone.i am still looking for the coffee machine that is easy to use at home, with latest technology.

Stanley
New user

#6 Post by Stanley » 06 Oct 2019, 09:28

ESPEasy or best rated nespresso machine , Which is the best coffee machine to consider for home use?

HomeJCL
Normal user

#7 Post by HomeJCL » 06 Oct 2019, 09:58

Best bet is to go for a coffee machine that starts you coffee from scratch, meaning beans to be grinded.

So most of the machines with pads/pods/etc ... are a lesser choice and if on top you need 2 cups at once. Also some punch your pod in advance etc etc

On the other hand, for me this type of project just involves a lot of geekery... usefulness ?

But then why are here ! :twisted:
Belgium and land of ESP ... counting :D

peter_d
New user

#8 Post by peter_d » 15 Jan 2020, 10:37

pw444 wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 15:50 Hi all,

after digging and reading a lot, and having the choices of Tasmota, Espurna and ESPEasy, i decided for ESPEasy.

As an absolute beginner, i will begin with making my coffee machine manageable.

So, the device have three push buttons (1 for 1 to 6 cups, 1 for 7 to 12 cups and 1 for off),

When i push either 1 or 2, led lits until it finnish or OFF is pushed, when led get off.

What i plan:
3 GPIO (output) from ESP8266 to the push buttons (easy, either via voltage divider or opto coupler) and 1 GPIO hooked from the LED (input).

So, i will need to write the rules in order that the outputs for the push buttons (1 and 2) tells me, initially by web access that the machine in on and to notify me when led if off (when coffee is ready).

Later i will habe it also have it controlled by Home Assistant or Openhab (i'm still digging to decide which one, as i do not plan to have it on a cloud server, by a private server at home).

Is there any example in how to get it done (similar)?

All the help and hints are very welcome by this newbee.

Thx in advance!

Paul
Another guy came here to make something similar.
I have a question for you, Paul, as you've mentioned that your machine have buttons like these: "1 to 6 cups" - have you meant fixed amount of coffee or you can change it by pushing the button multiple times? Guess I'm just overthinking, but though I've been collecting existing solutions, I decided it won't hurt to ask as mine has type of drink selection.
Also - any updates?
HomeJCL wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 09:58 So most of the machines with pads/pods/etc ... are a lesser choice and if on top you need 2 cups at once. Also some punch your pod in advance etc etc
Hmm, true - you probably should create a loading/dispensing mechanism first to make it really useful.
Still lots of projects made for pod machines: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=199276.0. Maybe it's less practical, still good for practicing.

- Pete

pw444
Normal user

#9 Post by pw444 » 17 Jun 2020, 17:24

Hi Pete,

sorry for the late reply.

I got very ill last year (got the H1N1 flu) and spent 70 days at the hospital and some months in physiotherapy to be able to stand and wlak again. Did not complete yet, but will.

The coffee machine i intend to automate is a Siemens TC91100 Kaffeemaschine 8T Porsche Design (https://sites.google.com/site/grogemade ... che-design)

As you can see, there are two leds side to a rocker switch, an off switch (it's auto off when done).

So, i did not get the schematics for it, but the idea is:
- rocker switch (low or high) by opto coupler (trigger), having led state (depending on which choice) and notify when the led gets off (done).

So, i can trigger it by any means (web, mqtt) or by hand, and get notified when done, no mater how it was triggered.

I get to it again after i have some other priorities done.

Thx in advance.

[/quote]

Another guy came here to make something similar.
I have a question for you, Paul, as you've mentioned that your machine have buttons like these: "1 to 6 cups" - have you meant fixed amount of coffee or you can change it by pushing the button multiple times? Guess I'm just overthinking, but though I've been collecting existing solutions, I decided it won't hurt to ask as mine has type of drink selection.
Also - any updates?
HomeJCL wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 09:58 So most of the machines with pads/pods/etc ... are a lesser choice and if on top you need 2 cups at once. Also some punch your pod in advance etc etc
Hmm, true - you probably should create a loading/dispensing mechanism first to make it really useful.
Still lots of projects made for pod machines: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=199276.0. Maybe it's less practical, still good for practicing.

- Pete
[/quote]

TD-er
Core team member

#10 Post by TD-er » 17 Jun 2020, 21:23

Glad you're getting better now.