Nabu Network?

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

I-dunno-why
New user

Nabu Network?

#1 Post by I-dunno-why » 04 Jun 2019, 02:37

I just reprogrammed my first sonoff switch carefully following the instructions (using ESPEasy_R120_1024.bin). The AP that the device is broadcasting is "nabu network" (turning the device on and off a billion times confirms this, it goes away when it should and returns when it should) and it won't accept 'configesp' as the pw (and it is demanding a pw). I have no idea what to do now. I tried to re-reprogram the device but that now fails with 'stat ESPEasy_120_1024.bin failed' (3 times). Any ideas?

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: Nabu Network?

#2 Post by grovkillen » 04 Jun 2019, 05:34

Please try a more recent release.
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

I-dunno-why
New user

#3 Post by I-dunno-why » 04 Jun 2019, 13:44

I thought this was the most recent release. Nonetheless I'll try to find newer.

I-dunno-why
New user

#4 Post by I-dunno-why » 04 Jun 2019, 14:31

Working with the ESP Easy Flasher (very nice tool!) however when I launch it, it is taller than my screen and the top portion and bottom portion are missing. I can still use it as the very top of what I see on my monitor is the serial port selection (no way to access min-max-X buttons, can only kill it through TM). The bottom is the top portion of the message window, cannot see (or move window to access) any buttons on the bottom.
ESP Easy Scrn1.jpg
ESP Easy Scrn1.jpg (131.8 KiB) Viewed 10006 times

grovkillen
Core team member

#5 Post by grovkillen » 04 Jun 2019, 14:38

ALT+F4 will close the application.

To change the size of the window you can first save the settings: ALT+S

A file named "Default.ini" will be created in the folder "Settings". Open it and scroll down to the bottom and change the value of "Pixels Per Inch". If you want a bigger window lower this value, if you want it smaller turn up this value.

Save file and restart the application.

I-dunno-why
New user

#6 Post by I-dunno-why » 04 Jun 2019, 14:53

Sorry to be a pain but the only file in Settings is "USB_port_names.ini". No "default.ini" anywhere. Maybe this is why the issue?

Oops, first save ... let me try that. That worked. Thank you sir.

I-dunno-why
New user

#7 Post by I-dunno-why » 04 Jun 2019, 15:50

No matter what I do I keep getting "nabu networks". This is frustrating (trying to add MQTT to sonoff in-line switch). What bin file should I be using? The ESP site says Current stable: ESPEasy R120 (which I've tried now 6 times, with flash.cmd & ESPEF, always get "nabu"). What bin should I use with ESP E Flasher since it wants to take my device straight to my wi-fi? Should I flash R147? If so is that an AP version or Flasher compatible?

Also, if R120 is current stable, why is a higher number an older vers (R120 vs R147?). Site says use v2 coming, will use R147, but it also says Old release candidate: ESPEasy R147_RC8.

Looked for ESP Easy version 2.0 on github (like the site suggests), didn't want mega cause that's "Bleeding edge of development." yet there is no version 2.0 stuff there, it seems to be all mega. Sigh.

Maybe if someone (who wrote the code) can tell me the password for "nabu network" it'd be the easier escape from this quagmire (someone has to know why it's going to that and the pw).

grovkillen
Core team member

#8 Post by grovkillen » 04 Jun 2019, 16:40

Go with the GitHub version. The R-versions are super old (2.5Y) and I'd say they are not more stable than the nightlies.

I-dunno-why
New user

#9 Post by I-dunno-why » 04 Jun 2019, 18:08

I think I may just have to give up on this. Too bad, I was really looking forward to controlling these switches via my Node Red application (MQTT).

I used ESPEasy-mega-20190523 (app) and tried both the 'blank_1MB.bin' file and the 'ESPEasy_2step_UploaderMega_1024.bin' file (not that I have any understanding of the difference). Both times the device comes up with the AP of "nabu network". I see the TX/RX lights flashing on the USB/TTL board while flashing is occurring so it's definitely communicating. The ESP Easy Flasher tool seems to be happy, says Flashing Done (102s), although it does not seem to be successful on downloading the default info I enter (even with a reset). The device is a brand new Sonoff Basic wifi smart switch (Amazon). The UART is a recently purchased DSD Tech USB to TTL board. The Sonoff chip is labelled ESP8285 502018 P1997000 UB00PK7F35 (made about 6 months ago?).

grovkillen
Core team member

#10 Post by grovkillen » 04 Jun 2019, 19:18

Flash it with a "normal" 1mb version. Regarding the network name I guess it's a neighbour network? The versions you're trying to install is not the real thing, only for cleaning the memory (blank) and to update small size units (2step).

I-dunno-why
New user

#11 Post by I-dunno-why » 04 Jun 2019, 19:59

Thanks. So I'm certain on what I'm doing (for a change), would you kindly give me a .bin filename to use (or point to a source for downloading it)? At this point I have no idea what (or where) I should be looking for in .bin file. Also, it'd be nice to know what to expect, will it go into AP mode or should I look for it on my wifi network. (And I'm pretty much 100% certain 'nabu network' is not from a neighbor, it's coming from the device, but moving on ....).

I truly do appreciate your assistance here.

UPDATE: Found a sonoff.bin file, flashed it and it looks like I might be heading in the right direction now. Thanks again.
Last edited by I-dunno-why on 04 Jun 2019, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

grovkillen
Core team member

#12 Post by grovkillen » 04 Jun 2019, 20:07

https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/releases

Try this one "ESP_Easy_mega-20190523_minimal_core_252_ESP8266_1M_OTA.bin"

And "Nabu Network" is not part of the firmware.... You can look if the wifi is still broadcasting if you remove power from your sonoff unit. If not then it's something very spooky!!