MQTT LWT Messages

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

garnold
Normal user

MQTT LWT Messages

#1 Post by garnold » 13 Aug 2019, 21:36

I have the LWT messages text boxes blank but I think I'm still getting messages sent to my broker when ESPEasy connects and disconnects. I'm sending my MQTT messages via a rule so I'm not sure if that changes anything? How do I stop ESPEasy from sending any connection messages to my broker?

ThomasB
Normal user

Re: MQTT LWT Messages

#2 Post by ThomasB » 14 Aug 2019, 03:39

I suggest reviewing the debug log messages to find more details about the mystery MQTT messages. Perhaps something in there will provide additional clues about why MQTT publish is activated.

FWIW, if your MQTT broker is running with a persistence service then ESPEasy's MQTT reconnects will include persistence based communications that restore the last known device status. The messages can trigger ESPEasy PlugIns and/or Rules. This can make it appear that ESPEasy is the source of the unexpected MQTT, when in reality it is responding to the external persistence messages.
How do I stop ESPEasy from sending any connection messages to my broker?
ESPEasy will perform a MQTT_KEEPALIVE communication to the broker every few seconds to maintain the connection. It's a low level action that is harmless. As far as I know, it cannot be disabled without a WiFi disconnect.

- Thomas