MQTT and SYSLOG

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

glassTransition
New user

MQTT and SYSLOG

#1 Post by glassTransition » 01 Jan 2020, 15:15

Hi, I am a new user of ESP Easy and I think it shows great promise. Thank you to all of the developers!

I have a system that is communicating to the Adafruit IO server. It runs for between several hours and a couple of days and then dies.

In an attempt to troubleshoot I have a Raspberry Pi running a SYSLOG server with the log level on the ESP set to "debug dev" which I'm assuming gives the most verbose response. I redirected the MQTT traffic to a local Mosquitto server also running on the pi.

I can't see anything in the logs that tells me there is a problem with MQTT when I change the IP address in the controller from the valid one to an invalid one. I expected to see timeouts or connection failures. What am I missing? Is there any explanation of logging in general? I have searched here and on the Web with no luck.

Thank you for any help!

grovkillen
Core team member

Re: MQTT and SYSLOG

#2 Post by grovkillen » 01 Jan 2020, 17:45

What's the problem with MQTT? If you connect to the broker with a client app, do that work?
ESP Easy Flasher [flash tool and wifi setup at flash time]
ESP Easy Webdumper [easy screendumping of your units]
ESP Easy Netscan [find units]
Official shop: https://firstbyte.shop/
Sponsor ESP Easy, we need you :idea: :idea: :idea:

TD-er
Core team member

#3 Post by TD-er » 01 Jan 2020, 18:33

If the node is unreachable.
Does it still react to a ping?

glassTransition
New user

#4 Post by glassTransition » 01 Jan 2020, 19:13

Thank you for the quick replies.

I have two systems. The "real" system is in the field and is not accessible at the moment. I only know that it has stopped publishing to the Adafruit server.

The other system is a duplicate "demo" that I built for troubleshooting. The demo system doesn't stop publishing. I am just trying to understand what messages to expect when I add syslog to the real system.

I did notice that the demo system doesn't stop publishing when I submit changes to the controller's IP address unless I cycle power.

glassTransition
New user

#5 Post by glassTransition » 02 Jan 2020, 14:55

TD-er wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 18:33 If the node is unreachable.
Does it still react to a ping?
I see on the serial terminal of my demo system MQTT messages as I expected to see in the SYSLOG with the log level set to info! Do I have to enable something for them to come out in the SYSLOG?

glassTransition
New user

#6 Post by glassTransition » 02 Jan 2020, 16:00

SYSLOG logging level is set to info now.

I do see: connect, subscribe, failed to connect, and disconnected in SYSLOG now.

There is no publish but that's not too much of a problem I guess.