New ESP gadget

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

Martinus

New ESP gadget

#1 Post by Martinus » 25 Jan 2016, 16:42

I flashed ESP Easy R72 into this little fun box:
Sonoff.png
Sonoff.png (133.37 KiB) Viewed 91454 times
You have to solder a 4 pin header to the PCB to be able to upload the first build. After that you can use OTA because it has a 1MB flash chip.
The switch is attached to GPIO-0
The relay is attached to GPIO-12 (active high)
The LED is attached to GPIO-13 (active low)

Ger
Normal user

Re: New ESP gadget

#2 Post by Ger » 25 Jan 2016, 20:24

Where can you buy it?

ManS-H
Normal user

#3 Post by ManS-H » 25 Jan 2016, 20:42

https://www.itead.cc/catalogsearch/resu ... =&q=sonoff

On this moment it's 20% off, so really cheap :D

ambassadoro
Normal user

#4 Post by ambassadoro » 26 Jan 2016, 16:02

Interesting item. I ordered some. Lets see.
As its possible to install espeasy, do you think its possible to connect more sensors like DS18B20 or light sensor to that little fellow?

BertB
Normal user

#5 Post by BertB » 26 Jan 2016, 16:18

Almost impossible to build this yourself, but I wonder ... how safe is this?
Does it have some CE (not China Export) marking?

BertB
Normal user

#6 Post by BertB » 26 Jan 2016, 16:21

Almost impossible to build this yourself for that price, but I wonder ... how safe is this?

costo
Normal user

#7 Post by costo » 26 Jan 2016, 17:37

BertB wrote:Almost impossible to build this yourself for that price, but I wonder ... how safe is this?
On the link ManS-H gave https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff- ... witch.html

you find images of the board from both sides, also the schematics of the device, RF + power.

http://wiki.iteadstudio.com/images/6/6b ... hmatic.pdf

Looks pretty decent in my opinion.

BertB
Normal user

#8 Post by BertB » 26 Jan 2016, 18:22

It is very decent, but I worry about the isolation capabilities of the transformer used in the switch mode power supply and the flame extinguishing ability of the module.

costo
Normal user

#9 Post by costo » 26 Jan 2016, 19:14

BertB wrote:It is very decent, but I worry about the isolation capabilities of the transformer used in the switch mode power supply and the flame extinguishing ability of the module.
If you really worry about that you should never import something yourself from far away because you cannot trust those labels.

BertB
Normal user

#10 Post by BertB » 26 Jan 2016, 21:54

You are right, but I am very careful and just wanted to warn you all for the potential dangers. I have carried too much safety tests to be careless.

Well, I would not add any extra sensor to this device that can be touched from outside, until it has been properly tested.
Better too careful than being badly injured or worse.

costo
Normal user

#11 Post by costo » 26 Jan 2016, 22:32

I ordered a few of these WiFi switches, they look safe to me, I do not worry about that too much.
My house has several ground fault switches, I believe the risk of injury is small, probably even smaller than injury by lightning.
I use common sense when connecting devices to the mains, I know about the destructive force of it.

cherowley
Normal user

#12 Post by cherowley » 28 Jan 2016, 11:40

I've ordered a few of these and plan to flash with easyesp too.

Hope to use the gpio 0 for input (making sure it's not pressed during boot of course..

costo
Normal user

#13 Post by costo » 28 Jan 2016, 21:56

cherowley wrote:I've ordered a few of these and plan to flash with easyesp too.

Hope to use the gpio 0 for input (making sure it's not pressed during boot of course..
This board http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-Smar ... 855543d3ce
is almost the same, there is an additional 315/433MHz receiver type RXC6 soldered in the board. This receiver is of a learning type and has 4 data_pins + VT_pin connected to the ESP8266.
So it seems there are at least 5 GPIO's easily available beside the UART Enough I/O connectivity i think.

BertB
Normal user

#14 Post by BertB » 28 Jan 2016, 23:03

Better be careful experimenting with internal ports, as long as you don't know about the safety issues.

Martinus

#15 Post by Martinus » 29 Jan 2016, 11:00

costo wrote:If you really worry about that you should never import something yourself from far away because you cannot trust those labels.
You are right here. Some chinese manufacturers seem to care as little about human rights as they care about human safety.
I'd just ordered one of these things out of curiosity. Not sure if I actually dare to use it...

But I've also seen some cheap USB charger devices at our local DIY store with official CE marking. These were so tiny that they can hardly be safe I guessed... Did not buy them despite the CE marking. So the DIY store imports them from china (where else...) and sells them. It probably means that we can held them responsible if things go wrong but then it's already to late I guess. And again, the 'chinese' won't bother...

Would actually be fun to send these "suspect" USB charger devices to the official certification test labs to get this investigated (and then contact the local reseller and confront them with the results...)

If I had funds similar to Bill Gates and the like, would be a nice additional hobby... And then sue the bastards who are willfully producing and reselling dangerous stuff...

BertB
Normal user

#16 Post by BertB » 29 Jan 2016, 14:11

If I had funds like that ...

Some months ago I was involved with the testing of a HLK-PM1 module on the MySensors forum.
In the end, we had two delivered at the address of a guy in Denmark, owning a test rig to do some serious testing.
As destructive inspection already predicted, the module was found to be very good. The website http://www.lygte-info.dk, but I cannot find the report, so I can't show you. :o
But check it if you want. I is very interesting.

In the mean time, a lot of cheap chargers were tested as well and some of them blew just like that.

Anyway ... Not knowing that Chinese stuff can be dangerous is one thing. But if you see a valid CE marking, you may trust that you have a device that will not try to kill you when something goes wrong (single fault condition). If one knows stuff is suspicious and one does not act upon that fact, that one, to my humble opinion, scores low on the scale of Darwin. ;)
Now, safety is a relative thing. In this case, for instance, the gadget thing can be safe in the USA, because of the lower mains voltage, which is roughly half of that in Europe.
Furthermore, many devices are safe as long as you do not alter them. The gadget is probably one of them. So, probably okay to use it as is, but not okay to get access to the other pins on the ESP.

Here it is, the report:http://lygte-info.dk/review/Power%20Mai ... %20UK.html

And that is the last thing I will say about the subject. ;)

Martinus

#17 Post by Martinus » 29 Jan 2016, 15:02

BertB wrote: ...But if you see a valid CE marking...
And how to verify this ? :mrgreen:
BertB wrote:And that is the last thing I will say about the subject. ;)
So we will never know.... :lol: :lol:

costo
Normal user

#18 Post by costo » 29 Jan 2016, 15:40

Martinus wrote:
costo wrote:If you really worry about that you should never import something yourself from far away because you cannot trust those labels.
But I've also seen some cheap USB charger devices at our local DIY store with official CE marking. These were so tiny that they can hardly be safe I guessed... Did not buy them despite the CE marking. So the DIY store imports them from china (where else...) and sells them. It probably means that we can held them responsible if things go wrong but then it's already to late I guess. And again, the 'chinese' won't bother...
Not only USB chargers. Chinese Led_bulbs are famous for these hazards too. Replacing a bulb can make you exposed to the life mains. On YOUTUBE you can find many video's were dangerous Chinese appliances are demonstrated and dissected
It is good that Ground fault switches are common.

If I had funds similar to Bill Gates and the like, would be a nice additional hobby... And then sue the bastards who are willfully producing and reselling dangerous stuff...

I have no illusions that super elitists like this man just care a tiny little bit about welfare, safety and privacy of common earthlings.
But I better be silent here about this sort of people before corporate-trolls come into this forum to teach us about the blessings of MS software and the generousity of the so-called philanthropists
[/size] :oops:

billy123
New user

#19 Post by billy123 » 30 Jan 2016, 21:28

Some more info about these boxes :

http://tech.scargill.net/itead-slampher-and-sonoff/

After reading this, i ordered a bunch ! :)

Billy

BertB
Normal user

#20 Post by BertB » 31 Jan 2016, 13:52

I do not understand, but please read what the main said about programming, connectivity to mains and frying.

(Sorry Martinus ;-) )

costo
Normal user

#21 Post by costo » 31 Jan 2016, 15:59

Itead studio also has another model of this WiFi swich for sale: https://www.itead.cc/im151116003.html for only $7.20.

It has a 433MHz selflearning receiver/decoder module on board type RXC6 which can decode the very common PT2262 (and EV1527) encoded RF-ASK signals.
Aside from the EFM8BB10F2g chip, all the components look pretty hackable.

As with the other device, without 433MHz module, the PSU is isolated from the mains, but the distance between the mains switching circuit and the low voltage DC parts looks relatively small (<2mm ?) as seen on the pictures, so probably this device will not receive CE approval. ( *** note)

Apparently I am attracted to dangers because I will use this device in my project. I also use USB chargers without CE approaval. Some people judge these devices as life endangering and they probably are when you take a bath or shower together with a device like this. ;)
Use it at your own risk and always use common sense when handling devices that are (in)directly connected to mains.
Maybe I should mention that I'm used to work on TV's , the old-fashioned types that you do not see anymore, they had chassis often connected to one side of the mains, and a CRT with up to 30.000 volts on it.

edit:
No approval if you connect other devices to it that will have wires going out of the enclosure. If everything stays inside the enclosure it is not impossible that the device gets approval in USA/EU.
To program it it is wise to keep it OFF from the mains and feed the ESP with 3.3V over the programming interface.

I found another test/teardown of this device on this site: http://www.chet.ie/?m=201601
click on picture and again click on the picture will give you a very detailed picture of the board.

cherowley
Normal user

#22 Post by cherowley » 02 Feb 2016, 10:43

Mine have arrived and sad to say that the circuit diagrams online do not match the actual unit so no gpio line broken out to the pads (only 4 pads not 5 pads).

So maybe use gpio 0 from the switch and the led (shorting the current limiter resistor) as the i2c pair?

costo
Normal user

#23 Post by costo » 02 Feb 2016, 23:08

cherowley wrote:Mine have arrived and sad to say that the circuit diagrams online do not match the actual unit so no gpio line broken out to the pads (only 4 pads not 5 pads).

So maybe use gpio 0 from the switch and the led (shorting the current limiter resistor) as the i2c pair?
I have not received my order from Itead yet .
But I wonder, does your board layout differ from the ones that you find on the web ?

When looking at the schematic for the first time I was thinking that E-D0,E-D1,E-D2,E-D3 were the same as D0,D1,D2,D3 but it is not like that.
Looking better I see that
The relais is powered by GPIO-12.
The 3-pin bicolor led (pin3) is connected to GPIO-13.

I have to wait till I get mine to do some more investigation and flash it with ESPEasy.

cherowley
Normal user

#24 Post by cherowley » 03 Feb 2016, 10:21

Hi costo,

Yeah the board is different from the circuit diags found on the web...

Of course, could we change the espeasy code to disable the serial port and use those 2 lines for i2c? Is it just a software thing or do we need to put the esp chip in a different hardware mode to disable the uart?

costo
Normal user

#25 Post by costo » 03 Feb 2016, 12:33

cherowley wrote:Hi costo,

Yeah the board is different from the circuit diags found on the web...
I meant, does the board layout look like this?
http://static.tweakers.net/ext/f/qBMHeJ ... u/full.jpg
or is it different?
Of course, could we change the espeasy code to disable the serial port and use those 2 lines for i2c? Is it just a software thing or do we need to put the esp chip in a different hardware mode to disable the uart?
The documentation of ESP8266 says that you can assign every software function to every pin that you choose.
If you like to write your own application or modify the ESPEasy code you could change it in a way you can use GPIO-1&3 as I2C bus.

Maybe in a future relase of ESPEasy it is possible to use GPIO 1&3 as I2C bus, I have proposed that here: http://www.esp8266.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=711

At the moment, for me the easiest way to go seems a hardware hack/modification.
Looks like the board has 3 unused GPIO pins, GPIO 4,5 & 14 (pin 16,24 & 9 of the esp chip)
If you dare to do it you can solder 3 very tiny wires on those 3 pins, fix them with a blob of hot glue to the esp top, and solder them somewhere to the holes where the RF module can be placed.

cherowley
Normal user

#26 Post by cherowley » 03 Feb 2016, 12:57

Yep the board does look the same as that picture :)

In the circuit diags it showed 5 pins in the header but only 4 in the actual board...

Ah, if the code only requires turning off the serial output and adding them to the drop down list i'll have a dabble :)

costo
Normal user

#27 Post by costo » 03 Feb 2016, 14:21

Looks like the board has 3 unused GPIO pins, GPIO 4,5 & 14 (pin 16,24 & 9 of the esp chip)
should be:
Looks like the board has 4 unused GPIO pins, GPIO 2,4,5 & 14 (pin 14,16,24 & 9 of the esp chip)

About re-assigning GPIO 1&3 for I2C, I have tested it myself with wire.begin(1,3) and connected a OLED and that works fine, I did not test this setup with other I2C, especially talking, devices, but expect it will work.
These pins need to have the UART function when booting in flash mode, that is done automatically , when booting in normal mode they can be used as I2C. You just need to make sure that in the software the UART is not initialised, so NO Serial.begin and YES a wire.begin(1,3).

costo
Normal user

#28 Post by costo » 04 Feb 2016, 18:06

cherowley wrote: Ah, if the code only requires turning off the serial output and adding them to the drop down list i'll have a dabble :)
Did yoy succeed ?

I turned off the serial.begin initialisation in the source code but that did not disable the serial stuff.
Serial stuff is deeply embedded in the ESPEasy code, and it MUST be turned off completely before it is possible to use RX and TX pins for I2C bus.

I hope you will succeed in removing all the serial stuff from the code and can enable GPIO1&3 for other uses, that would make it very attractive to use the Sonoff WiFi boxes for ESPEasy.

costo
Normal user

#29 Post by costo » 08 Feb 2016, 02:59

@ cherowley

I made a fork of ESPEasy and call it MiniESP .

https://github.com/costonisp/MiniESP

I have not received my sonoff WiFi switches yet but tested this program on several boards.
I believe it will work with the sonoff gadget, it disables Serial input/output and enables GPIO 1 & GPIO 3 for I2C.

cherowley
Normal user

#30 Post by cherowley » 08 Feb 2016, 10:06

Morning Costo!

I haven't had chance yet to mod the code but looks like you've beaten me to it anyway!

If i get time today i'll grab yours and give it a go :)

costo
Normal user

#31 Post by costo » 10 Feb 2016, 00:15

Today I got my sonoff switches, ordered them on januari 26.
The custom firmware that is flashed on it is stupid because you can not integrate it with home-automation software. It only works with a phone app and uses a external Amazon server.
So I soldered a 4 header on the board with gives me Vcc, Txd, Rxd, Gnd and connected a 3.3V USB/Serial interface to the unpowered sonoff switch.
With Arduino IDE I flashed ESPEasy on it and OTA updated that with my github fork and that gave me the I2C bus instead of a serial bus.
Connected a Barometer and OLED, connected the 230V AC and configured it.

The device tab shows the I2C bus on Rxd and Txd

The 230V AC to 5V DC isolation does not look like it is made for or usable in medical intrumentation :mrgreen:
The distance on the nearest points is about 1.5 mm.
But with carefull use and technical wishdom it can be made pretty safe.

NietGiftig
Normal user

#32 Post by NietGiftig » 10 Feb 2016, 09:12

costo wrote: The 230V AC to 5V DC isolation does not look like it is made for or usable in medical intrumentation :mrgreen:
The distance on the nearest points is about 1.5 mm.
But with carefull use and technical wishdom it can be made pretty safe.
Nice, have 5 pices waiting in China for transport (Yearly China Shutdown Time)
Do not use it with an alcohol tester :D

cherowley
Normal user

#33 Post by cherowley » 10 Feb 2016, 09:56

Hiya costo,

I was trying to get a pir sensor working with it last night but no joy @ 3v..

Where are you picking 5v up from?

cheers!

Martinus

#34 Post by Martinus » 10 Feb 2016, 12:01

If the power cord is actually plugged in, I would not recommend this lab setup as general safe working practice.
You have to rely on a good working "Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker" or "Residual Current Circuit Breaker" if you touch some of the components.

We would like our community members to stay alive...

costo
Normal user

#35 Post by costo » 10 Feb 2016, 14:38

cherowley wrote:Hiya costo,

Where are you picking 5v up from?

cheers!
I used the 3.3V rail did not use the 5V rail.
5 volt is available at the bottomside of the board where D4, the relaiscoil and the 3.3V regulator are located. No testpoint with 5V available so you have to solder a wire for that. Not really a attractive solution for a simple setup.

But offcourse you can do it. As long as you keep all electronics like your PIR, other sensors, switches, wires and the Sonoff itself inside a good isolated enclosure you can do that without the risk of endangering anyone.

I think also Martinus and Bert will agree that when done consious and within the guidelines of NEN 1010 and NEN 2012 it can be perfectly safe. ;)

Oh . . . . and do not forget to let anyone entering your home , sign a agreement in advance that they are aware of the dangers and do this at their own risk and that you will in no way be liable for damage or injury :geek:

NietGiftig
Normal user

#36 Post by NietGiftig » 11 Feb 2016, 19:12

received 5 switches early to my surprise
Thought the Chinese holiday would delay the shipment

Can somebody tell me what the best flash setting is
I flashed one with 1M(256K SPIFFS) and its working
(Just using the relay on pio 12)

But I'm not sure if I better go for 512, 128 or 64 K SPIFFS
Of course I want to OTA update after the first serial

costo
Normal user

#37 Post by costo » 11 Feb 2016, 21:28

NietGiftig wrote: Can somebody tell me what the best flash setting is
I flashed one with 1M(256K SPIFFS) and its working
(Just using the relay on pio 12)
I use these settings to generate a bin file that can be loaded (by OTA )into Sonoff, i didn't try other settings because this works well for me.

Board : Generic esp8266
Flash size : 1Meg 256 K SPIFFS
Reset method: ck

NietGiftig
Normal user

#38 Post by NietGiftig » 11 Feb 2016, 23:47

costo wrote: I use these settings to generate a bin file that can be loaded (by OTA )into Sonoff, i didn't try other settings because this works well for me.

Thanks, keep on using this setting myself then.

tozett
Normal user

#39 Post by tozett » 12 Feb 2016, 07:58

this has got a long thread. (for this forum)
now with 4 pages. there seems some interest.
maybe time for the admins to take some basic information over to the wiki?

ambassadoro
Normal user

#40 Post by ambassadoro » 12 Feb 2016, 10:17

!
The usual PIR-sensors from ali can be hacked to work with 3.3V. Maybe thats worth a try.

cherowley
Normal user

#41 Post by cherowley » 13 Feb 2016, 16:24

ambassadoro wrote:

!
The usual PIR-sensors from ali can be hacked to work with 3.3V. Maybe thats worth a try.
Ah that's what i was doing, thanks anyways :)

jay_s_uk
Normal user

#42 Post by jay_s_uk » 13 Feb 2016, 18:34

I have one of these and have soldered wires to all 4 pads. I am having issues uploading easy ESP to it though.
Can someone go into a bit more detail for me?

cherowley
Normal user

#43 Post by cherowley » 13 Feb 2016, 20:36

jay_s_uk wrote:I have one of these and have soldered wires to all 4 pads. I am having issues uploading easy ESP to it though.
Hi, what's the problem? Not flashing or doesn't run after flashing?

TiNePaS
New user

#44 Post by TiNePaS » 13 Feb 2016, 21:04

Hi:

Do work the relay ?
Last edited by TiNePaS on 15 Feb 2016, 01:47, edited 2 times in total.

jay_s_uk
Normal user

#45 Post by jay_s_uk » 14 Feb 2016, 08:44

cherowley wrote:
jay_s_uk wrote:I have one of these and have soldered wires to all 4 pads. I am having issues uploading easy ESP to it though.
The problem is not flashing. I've used the 4 pads on the bottom of the board, but am I better off using the 4 through hole connections?
I've tried resetting the board at the point of upload etc but I'm not getting any where.

cherowley
Normal user

#46 Post by cherowley » 14 Feb 2016, 18:34

jay_s_uk wrote:
cherowley wrote:
The problem is not flashing. I've used the 4 pads on the bottom of the board, but am I better off using the 4 through hole connections?
I've tried resetting the board at the point of upload etc but I'm not getting any where.

Hmm, you say the problem is not flashing yet you say you are not getting anywhere? Sorry, bit confused..

jay_s_uk
Normal user

#47 Post by jay_s_uk » 14 Feb 2016, 21:43

cherowley wrote:
jay_s_uk wrote:
cherowley wrote:

Hmm, you say the problem is not flashing yet you say you are not getting anywhere? Sorry, bit confused..
Managed to get it flashed with easy esp.
Have wired it into a lamp to test it out but the sonoff is up and down like a yoyo. I have no idea why. Am powering it off of the mains

costo
Normal user

#48 Post by costo » 14 Feb 2016, 22:34

jay_s_uk wrote: Managed to get it flashed with easy esp.
Have wired it into a lamp to test it out but the sonoff is up and down like a yoyo. I have no idea why. Am powering it off of the mains
What IDE-Tool settings did you use to complie ESP78 ?

jay_s_uk
Normal user

#49 Post by jay_s_uk » 15 Feb 2016, 22:58

costo wrote:
I've used

Still can't get it to stay alive longer than one or two pings

costo
Normal user

#50 Post by costo » 16 Feb 2016, 00:35

jay_s_uk wrote:
costo wrote:
I've used

Still can't get it to stay alive longer than one or two pings
Are you sure you are powering the sonoff with 230 V after flashing it with a USB/Serial adapter? Because the adapter cannot deliver the power for the WiFi to work, it will reset often.
About the flashsize, I believe 1M with 512kSPIFFS is the better option to use when you want to do OTA.

The best result I get is to upload the ESPEasy_R78_1024.bin file from http://www.esp8266.nu/downloads/ESPEasy_R78.zip
with the flashtool. From that version I update with the forked ESPEasy from here https://github.com/costonisp/MiniESPEasy to disable the UART on Rxd&Txd and enable GPIO1 and GPIO3 on these pins for I/O

It is a bit troublesome that you have to do all the settings from start again after a OTA update. Choose network on 192.168.4.1 and so on.
Or you must compile with SSID and PassPhrase into the sourcecode.