esp8266 forgets thingspeak API data

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

shallowal
New user

esp8266 forgets thingspeak API data

#1 Post by shallowal » 22 Apr 2023, 05:03

I have been running ESPEasy on a ESP-01 modules for a few years now for collecting information on temperature/humidity and water depth using an ultrasound sender. The data is sent to Thingspeak for viewing and analysis.
They all have an annoying glitch that randomly pops up in that the devices 'forget' the write API key, so cant deposit the data. This happens every few weeks to several months.
I have configured the ESP01's to go into deep sleep between collection events which occur every 15 minutes and I can see in the router logs that the devices wake up and connect as expected, but obviously cant upload the data.
My 'fix' is to try and connect to the device when it wakes up and quickly disable the sleep mode, then re-write the API key and put it back into normal operation again.

I've searched the forum but cant find any similar problems being posted.
ESP version is v2.0-20180228

Ath
Normal user

Re: esp8266 forgets thingspeak API data

#2 Post by Ath » 22 Apr 2023, 10:09

Hmm, upgrading from an over-five-year old ESPEasy version to a more recent release, might actually improve your experience... :o
/Ton (PayPal.me)

shallowal
New user

#3 Post by shallowal » 22 Apr 2023, 11:00

I've attempted to find an updated version for these CPU's but the location of the release software eludes me.

Ath
Normal user

#4 Post by Ath » 22 Apr 2023, 11:15

ESPEasy has been on Github for > 4 years, here's the Releases page: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/releases
And the documentation is actively maintained (via the code repository) on ReadTheDocs: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/ (the Wiki is no longer updated and mostly out-dated, though not everything has been migrated yet)
/Ton (PayPal.me)

TD-er
Core team member

#5 Post by TD-er » 22 Apr 2023, 22:42

Such an old version of ESPEasy may still have the issue where it was writing the WiFi calibration data to the flash every single time it was connecting to WiFi.

This would then explain why the settings/rules may get corrupted.

shallowal
New user

#6 Post by shallowal » 23 Apr 2023, 09:43

Ath wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 11:15 ESPEasy has been on Github for > 4 years, here's the Releases page: https://github.com/letscontrolit/ESPEasy/releases
And the documentation is actively maintained (via the code repository) on ReadTheDocs: https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/ (the Wiki is no longer updated and mostly out-dated, though not everything has been migrated yet)
Thanks for those links. They really helped as I was looking at the old wiki for info, and was under the misunderstanding that the newer firmware versions wouldnt run on the old ESP01 modules.
Took a while to work my way around the firmware locations/versions, update mechanisms, configuration changes etc, but I finally have my sensors updated to the "almost" latest release.
I'll now wait to see if the configs remain stable.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

shallowal
New user

#7 Post by shallowal » 23 Apr 2023, 09:46

TD-er wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 22:42 Such an old version of ESPEasy may still have the issue where it was writing the WiFi calibration data to the flash every single time it was connecting to WiFi.

This would then explain why the settings/rules may get corrupted.
Thanks, its always nice to have an explanation of what (might be/is) causing the problem, rather than just updating in the hope it might get resolved.