SSH and I2S

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

mackowiakp
Normal user

SSH and I2S

#1 Post by mackowiakp » 16 Aug 2023, 06:37

A question for the developers of the project

There is libssh for ESP32. Is an SSH implementation planned for the ESPEasy project? What is the effectiveness of such an SSH implementation - if such a solution has been tested.
Is an I2S (not I2C) implementation planned for the PCM5102 module, for example.
This would allow you to add internet radio functionality, but here comes the SSH problem again. Because as you know, Internet radio stations broadcast in MP3 or AAC formats, most often over HTTPS.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: SSH and I2S

#2 Post by TD-er » 16 Aug 2023, 09:28

I2S is planned, as I have some I2S parts near the front of my "parts to implement drawer" (which is a rather huge drawer by the way)
SSH is not planned.
There is work-in-progress to add SSL and I do have a PR pending to add MQTT-over-SSL.
The reason I haven't merged it yet is because the mbed-tls implementation is flaky at best.
I had to add some really nasty things to make sure there wasn't a memory leak as the structs are not initialized as they should

Hopefully the latest changes in the current ESP32 SDK now has improved as it really is bad and I can't believe that library is being used in so many projects.

mackowiakp
Normal user

#3 Post by mackowiakp » 17 Aug 2023, 07:06

Thank you for your answer. Sounds very nice. SSL is something I would say revolutionary in the whole project. Good luck !

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 17 Aug 2023, 12:17

Yep, it is for sure not just a "nice to have" feature.
But it also adds in quite some complexity and is rather resource hungry.

Part of the complexity is how to validate certificates as true validation also requires to have some notion of time.
That's one of the reasons I have spent so much effort already in time synchronization among nodes and internally the ESP also has some idea of the reliability of the time being set.

Another problem is that you may need to add some root certificate public keys or SHAs, which either takes up space in any build, or requires some effort from the user making it less "Easy".

But I think I did find some good compromise on this certificate handling in the MQTT TLS PR.

mackowiakp
Normal user

#5 Post by mackowiakp » 17 Aug 2023, 13:20

In the 1990s, all IBM offices in the world had the slogan "It's not a problem. It's a challenge." :D . Still valid...

BTW. The computer on which I started my computer education in 1979 - ODRA 1305, 24 bit accu (!?) .
SYSTEM_ODRA_1305.jpg
SYSTEM_ODRA_1305.jpg (4.85 MiB) Viewed 832 times