display NEXTION vs ILI9341 touch

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

giorgino
Normal user

display NEXTION vs ILI9341 touch

#1 Post by giorgino » 03 Oct 2023, 01:11

Hi everibody, In these days I'm planning the future of my magicbox, implementing a display touch, with the goal of removing mechanical press buttons. and has a better look, resolution, fonts, jpg and so on
I'm having experiences with this two displays: the ILI9341 seems older and "poor" than the Nextion, but (asking the expert) what is the real difference ?
can the Nextion reduce backlight, and go in sleep mode? what about current absortion?

TD-er
Core team member

Re: display NEXTION vs ILI9341 touch

#2 Post by TD-er » 03 Oct 2023, 08:42

As far as I know, the ILI9341 is just a LCD display controller.
So it is more or less a frame buffer storing pixels and sending it to the display.

The Nextion is a stand-alone "user interface", with which you can interact.

You need to program the Nextion using a separate tool and design your UI.
Like buttons, background image, several pages and actions on what to do when a button is pressed.
You can also define designated locations where things can be changed, like a text.

So it is ideal to make an interactive dashboard and it needs little interactions with ESPEasy to operate as it does most of it on the Nextion itself.

giorgino
Normal user

#3 Post by giorgino » 04 Oct 2023, 21:24

and what about this:
can the Nextion reduce backlight, and go in sleep mode? what about current absortion?
?

Ath
Normal user

#4 Post by Ath » 04 Oct 2023, 22:18

giorgino wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 21:24 and what about this:
?
A quick google query brought me here: https://unofficialnextion.com/t/dimming ... cally/1072

For power consumption you can check the manual, I'd expect it to be documented there, or else a user that has a display in use could chime in with some usage data? (I don't own these type of displays :?) It will depend on the model (size?) in use, I assume.
/Ton (PayPal.me)