New ESP Easy plugin for ESPNOW

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

FanOfHue
Normal user

New ESP Easy plugin for ESPNOW

#1 Post by FanOfHue » 03 Nov 2019, 21:12

Also converted the ESPNOW code to ESP Easy, plugin P204. Added to the other stuff: :mrgreen:
https://github.com/FanOfHue/Other

I can now get a sensor response from ESP Easy (doorsensor) to a normal ESP Easy (NodeMCU) in about 1 second.

But it currently works only for a few seconds :cry: :cry: , until the receiving ESP Easy connects to Wifi AP. ESPNOW and Wifi can't be used at the same time (AFAIK)
And I don't know how to stop ESP Easy from trying to connect to AP or start an AP by itself.

Is there a setting or command to keep ESP Easy from using normal Wifi :?: :?: :?:
So it should not connect and should not start an AP mode to keep ESPNOW working.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: New ESP Easy plugin for ESPNOW

#2 Post by TD-er » 03 Nov 2019, 21:24

There is not yet such a command, but I guess I should help on integrating it.
Can you also make an issue for this, so we can also discuss it there, on GitHub.

enesbcs
Normal user

#3 Post by enesbcs » 10 Nov 2019, 22:07

FanOfHue wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 21:12
But it currently works only for a few seconds :cry: :cry: , until the receiving ESP Easy connects to Wifi AP. ESPNOW and Wifi can't be used at the same time (AFAIK)
You are correct. This is why i commented out the whole wifi part from my ESPNow hack. :) There are no collisions anymore. And the compiled binary size is 418k.
https://github.com/enesbcs/EasyESPNow

FanOfHue
Normal user

#4 Post by FanOfHue » 11 Nov 2019, 12:27

enesbcs wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 22:07
FanOfHue wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 21:12
You are correct. This is why i commented out the whole wifi part from my ESPNow hack. :) There are no collisions anymore. And the compiled binary size is 418k.
https://github.com/enesbcs/EasyESPNow
I'm using SmartNodeRules so i have total control on wifi connect at boot time.
The door/pir sensor detects the build-in setup button and will switch to normal Wifi when the setup button was pressed. If not, they will use ESPNOW
The ESPNOW serial gateway is connected to a normal ESP unit. That unit can instruct the gateway on serial port to boot into ESPNOW mode or normal wifi mode.
One firmware for sensor/gateway/normal units.
I'll stick with my own firmware.

But it would be nice if it could be done for ESP Easy as well, although i'm not sure if anyone is still interested. If not, the developers don't have to waiste time on that.
I have posted an issue on GitHub, but i saw that there are 553 issues pending :o :o :o . If they work on the other 552 issues first, then we will have to wait for a very long time i guess. Maybe developers could use some sort of voting mechanism for issues posted?

TD-er
Core team member

#5 Post by TD-er » 11 Nov 2019, 13:26

FanOfHue wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 12:27
[...]
But it would be nice if it could be done for ESP Easy as well, although i'm not sure if anyone is still interested. If not, the developers don't have to waiste time on that.
I have posted an issue on GitHub, but i saw that there are 553 issues pending :o :o :o . If they work on the other 552 issues first, then we will have to wait for a very long time i guess. Maybe developers could use some sort of voting mechanism for issues posted?
I am for sure interested, but the main focus right now is to get the bugs out to get a release out the door.
The last "stable" for ESPEasy is over 2 years ago and this one is long overdue.

Also please have a look at the number of active developers. You can count them on one hand.
And in the last month I managed to close about 200 issues, which were either no longer an issue, or duplicates.
So it may take less than 553 issues to be fixed. Also the issues are not dealt with in the order they are created.

I am also looking into WiFi mesh, so that's one thing that will collide with your application if I don't take your application into account.
Meaning your issue will be looked at sooner than later, for sure.

enesbcs
Normal user

#6 Post by enesbcs » 11 Nov 2019, 18:20

TD-er wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 13:26
Also please have a look at the number of active developers. You can count them on one hand.
And in the last month I managed to close about 200 issues, which were either no longer an issue, or duplicates.
So it may take less than 553 issues to be fixed. Also the issues are not dealt with in the order they are created.

I am also looking into WiFi mesh, so that's one thing that will collide with your application if I don't take your application into account.
Meaning your issue will be looked at sooner than later, for sure.
For sure this is very much issue for a few developer. I am not an expert Arduino programmer so i can only make more problems. :) For example i coded some BLE plugins for ESPEasy but i am struggling with C++ pointers... or the whole ESP32 BLE stack is buggy, or both.
Originally I thought that BLE requires lesser power than WiFi, and even than ESPNow, but it is still not stable enough.