Battery goes down WAY too fast on ESP

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

happytm
Normal user

Re: Battery goes down WAY too fast on ESP

#51 Post by happytm » 03 Dec 2019, 21:02

Maybe try "my" code. I now got the ESP directly connected to a LiPo charged to 3.5V and it didn't change it's voltage by 1/100 of a Volt after 48h. This makes me confident that it will run fine for several month (over a year) with one measurement every 15min, even with the awful 5s uptime from a 6000mAh LiFePo4.
Maybe try "my" code. In theory it will run fine for one year one measurement every 15min, from a 450mAh LiFepo4 according to this calculator at http://www.of-things.de/battery-life-calculator.php :ugeek: .

Thanks.

izeman
Normal user

#52 Post by izeman » 04 Dec 2019, 08:57

happytm wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 21:02
Maybe try "my" code. I now got the ESP directly connected to a LiPo charged to 3.5V and it didn't change it's voltage by 1/100 of a Volt after 48h. This makes me confident that it will run fine for several month (over a year) with one measurement every 15min, even with the awful 5s uptime from a 6000mAh LiFePo4.
Maybe try "my" code. In theory it will run fine for one year one measurement every 15min, from a 450mAh LiFepo4 according to this calculator at http://www.of-things.de/battery-life-calculator.php :ugeek: .Thanks.
Pretty sure it does work ways better in regards to battery life. But as I said: It's another "network" or "technology" that you have to implement. Maybe a bit over the top for one temperature sensor, if all other sensor work fine with the already existing infrastructure. I wish the ESP code didn't have the nasty habit to write into flash after every wifi initalisation. Then this would already help A LOT.

TD-er
Core team member

#53 Post by TD-er » 04 Dec 2019, 09:23

Maybe we can also disable the RF calibration, unless the WiFi connection fails.
Not sure how much that will save in time, but it may save more in energy as the calibration uses quite a lot of current (short bursts)