looking for syntax to activate output of an easp easy by input of another esp easy

Moderators: grovkillen, Stuntteam, TD-er

BartSr
Normal user

looking for syntax to activate output of an easp easy by input of another esp easy

#1 Post by BartSr » 29 Mar 2022, 21:55

Hi!

I am using lots of esp easy devices.
Many doorlocks are equipped with sensor to monitor if a door is locked in addition to be closed.
In my corridor (way to bedroom) there is a LED showing status of frontdoor to advise me if door has been locked when going to bed.
Now I want to add another LED from same device which is activated once a doorlock is active somewhere else in the house. That lock has its own esp easy.

I assume this kind of communication can be achieved using port 8266 but how?

TIA
-Bart

BartSr
Normal user

Re: looking for syntax to activate output of an easp easy by input of another esp easy

#3 Post by BartSr » 30 Mar 2022, 22:27

Hi TD-er,

Thanks for yr reply. A bit to theoretical for me. I googled further and found the sendto command which makes sense.
What I achieved for now (just trials)
using commandline of esp 1 (having unit 6#) sending to esp unit # 1:
sendto 1, "gpio 15,1" whereas gpio 15 has been configured as switch-input
this works fine sendto 1, "gpio 15,1" for on and sendto 1, "gpio 15,0" for off

I tried configuring gpio 15 as output (mqtt helper) but no result. So asuming such cannot work in this way. So I must create a rule which controls an output based upon gpio 15.

A pitfal might be in the above case once the unit #1 has received the sendto command resulting in unit# 1 set gpio 15 to on. But what is happening if the unit #6 breaks down?
In such a case I should like to set unit#1 gpio 15 to 0. Is that possible ? Or should I do something like using a timer and ask for the data of unit #6 regular? If so, how to achieve such?

In real life the unit#6 will send the status of an input using the sendto towards unit#1.

TIA
-Bart

chromo23
Normal user

Re: looking for syntax to activate output of an easp easy by input of another esp easy

#4 Post by chromo23 » 30 Mar 2022, 22:48

BartSr wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 22:27 A pitfal might be in the above case once the unit #1 has received the sendto command resulting in unit# 1 set gpio 15 to on. But what is happening if the unit #6 breaks down?
In such a case I should like to set unit#1 gpio 15 to 0. Is that possible ? Or should I do something like using a timer and ask for the data of unit #6 regular? If so, how to achieve such?
You could for example send a timer command that is longer than the interval of the command itself. So if the unit#6 is not available anymore the rules-timer finishes and could set the gpio to 0.
code unit#6:

Code: Select all

on System#Boot do
  loopTimerSet,1,10
endon

on Rules#Timer=1 do
sendto,1,"timerset,1,20"
endon

code on unit#1

on Rules#Timer=1 do
  gpio,15,0
endon

Ath
Normal user

#5 Post by Ath » 31 Mar 2022, 11:45

A more reliable solution would be to leave any 'protective' measures to the node receiving the command. So instead of sending (and knowing) GPIO pins to a specific state, you could also execute events on the receiving node, f.e. one for enabling and another for disabling a specific feature.
I've used that in my 'remote doorbell system', that is connected to the doorbell button, and also to a door-contact activated if the door is open more than a few cm. and where the receivers are several Sonoff S20's, some of which have a buzzer added, but others use the few available GPIO's for a sensor. So all receive an event called "DoorChimeStart" when the doorbell button is pressed, and "DoorChimeStop" when the button is released. As I also use that same event to alert the Door-Open state, and I don't want that buzzer to keep buzzing while the door is open, I have a timer activated by DoorChimeStart that repeats a short buzz every 10 or 15 seconds (depends on the Sonoff...) and also slow-flash the extra LED. The DoorChimeStop event just stops the timer. I currently haven't implemented a 'protection-timer' to turn off the signal after some time, as I want to be kept alerted while the door is open ;)

Partial code, that also has a Dummy task to keep state and an inhibit option to stay quiet when needed

on DoorChimeStart do
  LongPulse_mS,13,0,3000
  TaskValueSet,9,2,1 // Set status to active
  if [Status#Quiet] = 0 or [Status#Quiet] = 2
    tone,1,300,300
    gpio,1,1  // force off
    delay,50
    tone,1,300,300
    gpio,1,1  // force off
  endif
  if [Relay#State]=0 and [Status#Quiet] = 2
    pulse,12,1,100 // 2nd LED
    pulse,12,0,100
    pulse,12,1,100
  endif
  TimerSet,2,15 // Repeat in 15 seconds
endon

on DoorChimeStop do
  TaskValueSet,9,2,0 // Reset status
  TimerSet,2,0
endon

on Rules#Timer=2 do
  event,DoorChimeStart // Redo from start
endon
And there is similar code for the shed-door (that is located at the street-side of my house, and not always locked :o), though that door doesn't have a doorbell-button ;), but with a different timing, to be able to distinguish what door was opened.
/Ton (PayPal.me)

chromo23
Normal user

#6 Post by chromo23 » 31 Mar 2022, 11:47

Another solution could be the ping-plugin wich was made for this purpose (https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... #p089-page).
But it is in testing and i have never used it myself.

Edit: refers to my last post.... :)
Last edited by chromo23 on 31 Mar 2022, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ath
Normal user

#7 Post by Ath » 31 Mar 2022, 11:49

chromo23 wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 11:47 But it is in testing and i have never used it myself.
Most testing plugins are in fact quite stable, I think many of them could drop the testing moniker, but some users may expect these to appear in the Normal builds, but that is not technically feasible, because of the huge number of plugins currently available :D
/Ton (PayPal.me)

BartSr
Normal user

#8 Post by BartSr » 31 Mar 2022, 22:29

Hi Chromo23 and Ath,

Thanks for your insights!
I have to study those because I am not that familar with all possibilities in rules.
And my old brains quite easy forget lessons learnt after a few weeks :-(

-Bart

BartSr
Normal user

#9 Post by BartSr » 06 Apr 2022, 22:49

ok, I managed in test operation with a unit#1 (gpio 5) simulating the sensor-input and unit#2 (gpio 14) representing the monitoring part.
Every 20 seconds the status of #1 is updated and sent to #2 and in case unit#1 fails for > 30 seconds unit#2 gpio 14 is 'reset'to 0. So far so good.

Now I wonder if this code can be better. For instance, how to only do a sendto 2 if the input of #1 realy has changed.

I feel this must be possible. But howto?

TIA
-Bart

on System#Boot do
  loopTimerSet,1,30
  loopTimerSet,2,20
endon

on Rules#Timer=2 do

if [Plugin#GPIO#Pinstate#5]=0
	sendto, 2, "gpio 14,1"
 endif

if [Plugin#GPIO#Pinstate#5]=1
	sendto, 2, "gpio 14,0"
 endif

endon

on Rules#Timer=1 do
   sendto,2,"timerset,1,30"
endon 

Ath
Normal user

#10 Post by Ath » 06 Apr 2022, 23:23

BartSr wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 22:49 ok, I managed in test operation with a unit#1 (gpio 5) simulating the sensor-input and unit#2 (gpio 14) representing the monitoring part.
Every 20 seconds the status of #1 is updated and sent to #2 and in case unit#1 fails for > 30 seconds unit#2 gpio 14 is 'reset'to 0. So far so good.
Great work!
BartSr wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 22:49 Now I wonder if this code can be better. For instance, how to only do a sendto 2 if the input of #1 realy has changed.

I feel this must be possible. But howto?
Sure, I've updated the code to use that
Code on unit 1:

on System#Boot do
  monitor,gpio,5 // Get an event if the pin-state changes
endon

on GPIO#5 do
  let,1,!%eventvalue1% // Get the _inverted_ value by using the ! before the argument variable
  sendto, 2, "event,setstate=%v1%"
endon

// Safeguard timer moved to receiving unit
Code on unit 2:

on setstate do
  TimerSet,1,0 // Inhibit guard timer
  gpio,14,%eventvalue1% // Switch GPIO
  if %eventvalue1%=1 // Assumed that 1 = on
    TimerSet,1,30 // Guard timer max. 30 seconds on
  endif
endon

on Rules#Timer=1 do
  gpio,14,0 // Off
endon
/Ton (PayPal.me)

BartSr
Normal user

#11 Post by BartSr » 07 Apr 2022, 10:01

Hi Ath, thanks for improved code. But I'm sorry to say that it's not working as expected.
The guard timer in unit 2 is setting gpio 14 to 0 indepent of loss of unit 1. In other words always 30 sec. after gpio 14 was set to 1.
So I think that there must stay a timer on unit 1 active to act like hartbeat. Or do I miss something?

TD-er
Core team member

#12 Post by TD-er » 07 Apr 2022, 10:09

Yep you must then send the message from unit 1 at a higher rate than unit 2's timer will expire.
For example, send the message to unit 2 every 20 sec with the safeguard timer on unit 2 set to 30 sec.

Still this may be a bit too short if for whatever reason either unit looses connection to the network and has a hard time reconnecting to the access point.

BartSr
Normal user

#13 Post by BartSr » 07 Apr 2022, 10:20

TD-er,
in that case I better stick to my code (see before Ath's reply) which Asked improved

Ath
Normal user

#14 Post by Ath » 07 Apr 2022, 10:48

BartSr wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 10:01 Hi Ath, thanks for improved code. But I'm sorry to say that it's not working as expected.
The guard timer in unit 2 is setting gpio 14 to 0 indepent of loss of unit 1. In other words always 30 sec. after gpio 14 was set to 1.
So I think that there must stay a timer on unit 1 active to act like hartbeat. Or do I miss something?
Then I may have misunderstood your requirement here, I intended to turn off the gpio after it has been on for a max. amount of time, but if you need it being used as a keep-alive mechanism, then indeed the "timer 1" related code of unit 1 should be restored

// in on system#boot do:
  loopTimerSet,1,30

// Re-add event handler:
on Rules#Timer=1 do
  sendto,2,"timerset,1,30" // (This could also be "event,keepAlive" with matching event in unit 2)
endon
NB: Untested code!
/Ton (PayPal.me)

BartSr
Normal user

#15 Post by BartSr » 07 Apr 2022, 22:37

Ath, no problem at all. Meanwhile I went through your code it teached me very well. Especially the comments are very helpfull.

Thanks!
-Bart

Ath
Normal user

#16 Post by Ath » 08 Apr 2022, 14:27

BartSr wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 22:37 Especially the comments are very helpfull.

Thanks!
Well, helping someone with that is what I'm aiming for, so, great :D
You're welcome.
/Ton (PayPal.me)